Tuesday, August 10, 2010

12 True Confessions for a Tuesday

    I feel the need to confess...It is said confession is good for the soul, but these are so surface, they're coming from Shallow El, not from the depths of my soul:
  • My treadmill is plugged into a surge protector so I can turn it off when not in use.  Sometimes, in wasted attempts to turn it on, I hit that little red switch 12 times with my big ol' running shoe before I finally bend over to flip it with my finger (which is way easier than using my foot, but I always seem to forget that).  Lazy.  Reminder to self:  you do bend at the waist.
  • I often eat when I drive, and I drive a stick.  No tickets or accidents. Last week, I devoured an entire package of my beloved Red Vines between the grocery store and home.  Wait, the amount of candy I eat is the real confession...
  • I run like a girl.  I don't mean that in a disparaging way toward anyone else. And I certainly don't mean it in an empowering way. I mean it in an I'm-almost-50-and-have-never-been-athletic way. (Started week five of C25K yesterday, I'm okay, but next week may kill me.) 
  • I talk during yoga class.  So much for the serenity of the experience.  I know it bugs some folks, but others appreciate my questions.  I mean, we are there to learn, right?  Okay, okay, I'll shut up.
  • It drives me crazy when pictures on facebook:  lack captions or tags, are so blurry they shouldn't be posted, or are oriented wrong.  (My summer's been so uneventful, farmers' market photos have become my facebook photo mainstays. So I should shut up here, too.)
  • The phone I have?  I use it to make calls.  No texting, no 'Net, no nothin' else.  I am not a techie gadget person.
  • That being said, there are three things I would enjoy having:  a laptop (I'm typing this post on a dying dinosaur of a PC), a fancy shmancy camera (I want to be artsy-fartsy), and firmer thighs.  I think right now the latter is the most likely, thanks to the above mentioned running like a girl and yoga. I'll take them, when they decide to arrive.
  • My hair is short now, and to keep it from curling (as if) due to summer humidity I wear clips like the one pictured above while my hair is drying while at home or in my car.  If you ever see me wearing one, will you tell me to remove it?  (Don't mock yesterday's hair, this pic is a self-portrait taken after a Benadryl induced nap.  Bad. Hair. Day.)
  • Though I my interaction with Brad's family is limited to just about none, he has asked me to collect books for him to give his grandkids.  I miss his grandkids, and I love books, so heck yeah I do it!
  • I like to wear dresses because people think I'm all decked out when really I like them 'cause they are so easy to put on.  So if I've slept late, am running late, or feel fat, I just may show up all girlie.  Look for it.
  • I cannot eat just one cookie.  Of course if said cookie has coconut on it or in it, then  I will not eat even one. Coconut, bleah!  Maybe I should buy only coconut candy? 
  • Speaking of nutrition, actually a lack thereof,  I bought a bottle of 100 vitamins, One-A-Day brand in fact, about 350 days ago. There are still vitamins in the bottle.  Do the math.
      I'm sure there are hundreds of things I do each day that cause God, my friends, my husband and you to shake a head.  As I wrote this, I thought of a woman who recently told me, "Wow, you have it all together!"  Shocked, I looked at her and said, "Oh if you only really knew."  And I'm reminded of when a younger woman I once knew told me I was a know-it-all, when truly, I go through each day recognizing how little I do know and how much I have yet to learn.  I roll my eyes at myself!

    13 comments:

    Stacy said...

    My summer's been really uneventful (boring) too. Except for my daughter's dramas, which I could live without.

    I have the laptop and the fancy camera (don't know how to work most of the fancy things yet), but firmer thighs...heck, firmer EVERYTHING would be good.

    Ellen aka Ellie said...

    Fancy camera? I'm envious! Someday...

    Debbie Haines said...

    I shake my head at myself so much, I have permanent whiplash! Let's see ,,, I turn the TV on when I get home and then go upstairs (as in I DON'T WATCH IT!) ,,, I mostly only vacuum where you can see it's been vacuumed which means if you don't see a post on FB from me for awhile, I've been attacked by the monster-sized dust bunnies living under the beds ,,, I by sea salt and cracked pepper croutons for salad and then never have them for salads because I eat them as snacks ,,, I try to find parking places close to the building INCLUDING AT THE GYM! ,,, I secretly eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (OK, not so much a SECRET anymore, huh?) ,,, I think I'll stop now ,,, my neck hurts!

    Anonymous said...

    ,,, and I often proofread AFTER I submit a comment and find the typo after the fact ,,, as in should have been "BUY ,, croutons" ,,, not 'by' them!

    OUCH! :)

    I'm logging in under anonymous so you don't know who made this major blunder! Oh, shaking my head again ,,,

    JoAnn said...

    peanut butter and pickles? I'm not judging, but ew.

    I can't drive a stick, have always wished for curly hair and I too hope for firmer thighs. Oh, and the tomatoes in your photos totally made my mouth water so I'm going to stop at the store and buy the freshest, locally grown tomatoes I can find, and eat them for dinner with some olive oil, salt, pepper and mozzarella.

    Ellen aka Ellie said...

    PB and pickles! Hm, I'm have to try that one. Not! I'm shaking my head in a whole new way...

    I love, love, love driving a stick. And it took me a long time, about 47 years, to accept my curls yet still I fight them!

    This week's farmstand buys were cucs, grape tomatoes and raspberries. All delicious!

    . said...

    I really enjoy your blog.
    I do have a question for you. I have been a member of CW and I have wanted the daily motivation widget from their site. I have seen it on others sites, and now yours, and I still can't figure out how to find it when you go to the forum page. Any help you can give me? I must be having a brain fart, it can't be that difficult!

    Ellen aka Ellie said...

    Julie, thanks!

    I can't remember how to navigate the website or how to contact you. So let me know here if you want me to send you the html code!

    Katie Lynn said...

    This post made me laugh. I'm now starting to think of all the funny things I do that would make others shake their heads. Like maybe..just for a taste.. my fear of going through a car wash alone. Therefore, my brother has been with me for every car wash experience. hahaha. This post makes me want to start a blog. Perhaps..upon moving to London and finishing the chaos that is a dissertation, I will actually want to write in my free time.

    Maria (also Bia) said...

    pb & pickle sandwiches are delicious (toast the bread, though).

    and if these confessions are all you have to reveal, then i think we're all pretty safe:)

    lisa :) said...

    One of the things I've always loved and admired abut you Ellen is your honesty and openness. I love how real you are. That sounds like a weird compliment, but it's a rarer trait than it should be. And I'm an infrequent vitamin taker, Red Vine lover, bookaholic, cookie eater too. Of course when it comes to flipping switches, I don't bend down either, I just use my freaky-flexible toes. ;)

    . said...

    I'm sorry I thought you could follow me with by my picture. my website is
    http://www.juliehjabbers.blogspot.com

    Cat@BudgetBlonde said...

    I am so with you on wearing dresses, lol!!!