Monday, November 1, 2010

Told you so...

     My friend Lisa, our school social worker, gave me a birthday bag full o' Peanuts treats.  This book was one of them, and I treasure it.  She wouldn't know why, so it's kind of neat that she's given me the reason to tell the story.  (I told you I'd find reasons to write about at least some of my nifty, perfect birthday gifts!)
     When I was in second grade, my mom took a job outside the home as a school library aide.  She only did it for a year, but it was a year of great responsibility for my brother Kevin and me.  We'd come home each day at lunch and eat what she'd prepared for us.  Then we'd go back to school. We'd come home each day afterschool and wait for her.
     One day, I was in our school library, and I saw this new book, Happiness is a Warm Puppy.  It looked so cute, and I could read it, so I checked it out.  That afternoon, waiting for Mom,  I remember sitting on the couch watching for the front door to open, so eager was I to show her this book.  I knew she would love it.  When she opened the door, I called out, "I have something to show you, Mom!"  She laughed and said she had something to show me too.  She came over to the couch, sat with me, and pulled out...a book.
     You see, a new book was ready to be checked out in her school library that very day.  She knew I would think it was cute, she knew I could read it, and she really was eager to share it with me.  So she checked it out.
     Can you guess what book it was?  I think you just might be right...

9 comments:

purejoy said...

awww. that is such a great story! what a sweet memory for you to have about together time with your momma.

Candace said...

What a great story AND memory AND reminder of it all from your sweet friend on your birthday! Happy Belated Birthday, my friend!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Be blessed,
Candace

Pam C said...

How cool! Moms and daughters do have those weird connections sometimes, don't they? :) Sweet, sweet memory!

Megan said...

Love it! I inherited that book as a kid. My brother and I used to read it.

agnes said...

what a great memory!

ALI said...

What an awesome memory!

Considering how much my son loves our "puppy" (in quotes b/c she will be 10 next June) and pretty much loves any puppy related book - I will have to check this one out.

Working to create loving book memories with my son every day.

dori said...

how sweet, and a great story!
thanks for sharing it
:-)

Maria (also Bia) said...

what a sweet, sweet memory ... and i know it's one you will always treasure.

Gitz 'n Jo said...

that is so sweet. what a great memory!