This morning, I found myself sad to learn that Borders has filed for bankruptcy. On my drive home this evening, I listened and sighed as they announced which Chicago area stores are closing down. This makes me somewhat of a hypocrite because I don't often buy books. At least, I don't buy them for myself, I do buy many kids books to give as gifts.
I am of the opinion that books cost too much or I read them too fast. Either way, cheap ol' me likes using the library. However, for my birthday (in October) I did receive some Borders gift cards, and I happily but carefully used them (it took me months to make my final decisions). I tend to buy Christian theology books, because those often aren't available at the library, or reference books (lately knitting or sewing) so I can repeatedly refer to them (why else, right?). All others are library fodder.
Anyway...
I'm sad. I'm guilty.
Admittedly, the last book I DID buy for myself I bought at Borders. I bought Max Lucado's Cast of Characters, which I am savoring. (In other words it's too deep for me to breeze through.) I have another "to buy" book on my list, and I was going to go to Family Christian Stores for it, but now, now I don't know. Could be my Friday night date will be spent at Borders. Could be, as is true with Christian stuff, they won't have it on the shelf.
Anyway AGAIN...
This week's question of the week:
What's the last book (the paper kind with a binding) you bought for yourself,
and where did you buy it?



12 comments:
I buy lots of books... lots and lots.. I am thinking my last one was The Alchemist...but I am not sure if it were at Borders or not! I love that store over Barnes and Noble...actually my favorite ones are small independent ones!
i have a kindle now… so the last book i bought was 1000 gifts by ann voskamp via dayspring. i had it mailed to my daughter. i already downloaded it to my kindle. i'm seriously in love with ann… you should check out her blog
http://www.aholyexperience.com/
talk about savoring…
Let's see...on paper, not for my Nook...I don't remember what it was, but I'm sure it was bought at Barnes & Noble. We have a Borders, too, but it's much smaller and less convenient for me to get to.
Borders is my go-to store for gifts when I don't know what to get people but the last book I bought for myself there was Fever Dream by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. It's a detective thriller and the latest in a series that Tony and I both enjoy. We read it aloud to each other so it took us a few months to get through. All my other recent purchases have been from Amazon because of gift cards I got for Christmas.
I bought books 6 and 7 of the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon and I bought them at Borders....oops, no I bought books for my grandson and Beezus and Ramona for my daughter at Target. :)
Nutrition For Marathoners.. From Amazon. And before that..Issac's Storm for Bob as a gift also from Amazon. We are not in a library district sadly and have a nook and a kindle and so do our reading electronically. And i read a book or two a week so ...
Thanks for this - just prompted me to check and see whether or not my local Borders would be closing. SO glad to see no plans to close it for now. Borders visits are part of our date nights, too. I usually buy books in multiples - can never decide on just one most of the time - and probably most recently bought myself The Shack and the last of the two Hunger Games books.
That last book bought, with a border coupon, was about 3 weeks ago for my son to give his friend for their birthday...it was also the hunger games. I go in borders often for gift books and bought a couple over Christmas. Like you, I too consider myself cheap/frugal so I only want to buy when I have a coupon. I like buying the Nooma videos from there. Have you seen any of those?
I have started shopping Amazon just because it's cheaper but you don't get to leaf through them, touch them, know there size etc. so I have to know what I'm getting before I buy online.
I still like the atmosphere of a book store. Bob and I also have spent some date nights in them. Glad our borders isn't closing (yet).
Having a Kindle I don't buy books for me, unless I can get them signed by the author.
Not sure if it counts, but my most recent two purchases were:
Feb 9th: a Dr. Seuss birthday book & Sandra Boyton Pokie's birthday book @ Border's for my son's birthday.
Christmas season: 10 Dr. Seuss books to enhance my son's collection, as he loves there @ a Barnes-n-Noble that was running a sale since they were closing their doors right after Christmas.
Oh goodness. I haven't bought MYSELF a book since before I got married. We don't have a lot of 'play money' around to do so, so I swear by my library or the free offerings for kindle (which my father-in-law so generously gave me for Christmas).
That being said, when someone I know is celebrating something, I will give that person a book 90% of the time. I like buying books they've never heard of, and perhaps might like. The last book I bought was "Ella Minnow Pea: a novel of letters" for a friend of mine who is studying to be a librarian.
Oooh, I'm going to look for that one at my library!
I learned my book frugality from you! I remember you saying in class one day "I read books to fast to buy them" and I had like a TaDa moment, when I realized I was the same way. I loved going to used and half price book stores though,
A friend of mine puts it like this, he reads book from the library, he invests in literature from the bookstore :)
Last book I bought myself? I bought about 6 books for reading after my surgery, and loved them all. My most recent favorite is "Bitter is the New Black" by Jen Lancaster.
I do weekly book giveaways at work, for students and staff.. I buy those, so I can say I'm helping the book industry :)
Post a Comment