To fear God is to be in awe of his power and knowledge. To fear him is to bow before mysteries we can never comprehend, like the fact that God gave us freedom to choose, even though our free choices often have dire consequences for ourselves and others. To fear God is to dare to believe that he created each one of us to know, love, and serve him in this life and be happy with him forever. God is so much greater than we could ever ask, and so much closer than we could ever imagine. He loves us so much that he has taken on our flesh, forgiven our sins, and defeated our most terrifying enemies—even the last enemy, death. This is a God to love, a God to reverence, and a God to honor with our whole lives!
---- The Word Among Us
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I don't like the idea we should fear God. God has shown how gentle, kind & forgiving he is. I'm in awe of that.
And I'm a firm believer that a healthy fear of authority is a good thing for helping keep me in line.
But I don't want to fear God. I want to embrace him & pray that through that embrace peace happens.
But that's why I posted this--fear for God doesn't mean being afraid of Him.
to fear God is to offer up our reverence and our respect. to acknowledge His vast power and might and his holiness.
a healthy fear is crucial to a real relationship with Him.
A pastor friend of mine thinks what is wrong with the church today is that we no longer fear God. He believes a little fear is healthy...and I tend to agree going with his definition of fear as "holy reverence."
Beth, I don't know if you caught the new blog on my blogroll, but you should check it out. It's called Testify http://testifyblog.com
It's written by a group of Christian ladies, including Beth Zimmerman, who is also on my blogroll.
Did you mean Ellen/ellie?
it's interesting you posted this ... last week we had a huge discussion on the whole concept of fear of God.
in fact, i am working on a post.
thanks for sharing.
Word Among Us ... is that the paperback daily devotional?
Post a Comment