The other day, I noticed one of my sweet students sporting something similar to this:
That's about how much I could see of it. But since I'm hip, oh so hip, I knew what the rest of the bracelet read, just add a "bies" onto the part you can see.
Yeah, a third grader. (Tutoring student.) A sweet young boy. I had had a rough day, was feeling overly cranky, and I most certainly wasn't going to talk with him about his "bies" love in front of his peers--can you imagine the 'splaining I'd have to do? So at the end of the session, I stopped in the office and I told our wonder-secretary about it. He met me as I was coming out of the office, and I looked to his wrist where I only saw:
Seems like he's an equally opportunity Lothario. He "hearts" nerds, too. So I bit the teacher bullet and asked, "Where's your other bracelet?" He had layered it inside the nerds cuff. I played dumb, very easy for me to do, and I asked, "What does that other one say?"
Ah ha, he wouldn't tell me. He looked a little, but only a little, chagrined, so I said, "Well, if you can't tell me what it says, then you probably shouldn't wear it to school, right?" Smart boy, he agreed.
Talking to a boy about a "bie" bracelet (and yes I know they're all about breast cancer awareness--but come on, he's eight) is right up there with the time I had to talk to a boy to tell him, "You can't put stink on stink."
I seriously, seriously love my job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
That's funny - in a way - 'cause I thought the bracelet said I heart books, wink, wink!
Those bracelets are ALL over college campuses.. and I guarantee most of the the people wearing them are not particularly interested in supporting breast cancer awareness. lol, but an eight year old? Sheesh.
Karin...I wish it were books! The after school program is to support our struggling readers!
I am so disgusted by these bracelets..I know what the intent is...but when a 7th and 8th grade BOY wears one...I know almost for certain that Breast Cancer is not why! uugh
That is SO funny!
Can you believe there was a STORY on the news about these bracelets & shirts like them? A public school told a student & her 2 sisters that they couldn't wear these shirts/bracelets and the mom was LIVID. The mom was a breast cancer survivor and felt that this was supporting her battle.
I guess they couldn't support her with a regular "race for the cure" tshirt, or even with a pink tshirt or whatever.
It had to say boobies.
WHAT. EVER. They were even going to the SCHOOL BOARD about it!!! That made ME livid... that people think this kind of thing is completely acceptable and should be shared & promoted! What if a kid's dad had testicular cancer? Could he wear a t-shirt that said, "I {heart} balls"? OF COURSE NOT.
Now I'm all flustered.
Ah eight year olds. haha
I get that sex sells, but really?!?!?!
Why does everything have to be sexual (or some other misguided distraction) for someone to make a buck.
I love how you handled it. It gave him the opportunity to save face & yet you addressed it.
Post a Comment