When we were dating, our first Christmas occurred when we'd only known each other for, depending how you look at it, six or two months. Six months over the phone, and two months in person. So to lower the pressure, or so I thought, we could just exchange treat filled stockings. For someone who's all about the simple pleasures, this seemed like a easy solution--throw some chocolate, a diet Pepsi, and a People mag in a sock and you have a great gift.
But over in Indy, Brad suffered through some angst. He was used to one trip to the jewelry store shopping to find a ta-da fab gift. However, he knew I thought that was too easy, (not to mention too expensive) and that I wouldn't be floored by sparkle. So instead he stressed.
One weeknight he called me, "I can't do this stocking thing, I can't." You see, he had gone to CVS to buy some hose and stood in front of that display for twenty minutes, his head spinning. Why hose? Well, we'd been getting ready for church at his house one Sunday, and he had heard me scream from the guest room--I had a run in the one pair of hose I had packed. He dashed me over to CVS and I grabbed some new ones. Okay, grabbed is unfair, as I too find that wall of nylon daunting. (Size, A, B, C, Queen, color, support, sandal toe, reinforced toe, control top--all caused me to switch full on to tights for most occasions.)
The thought and effort definitely counted on that one.
To make a long story short, here's what I wound up with in my stocking that first Christmas together:
two king-sized Three Musketeers
one Vogue Magazine
one Glamour
a note telling me to look in his closet
a note telling me we were going to the mall the next day
The closet note brought me to a vacuum! Not romantic? Sez you! I'd been working on repairing my vacuum, sometimes with his help over the phone, for two months. The trip to the mall was to Firestone for new brakes, tires, and an oil change. He wanted me safe for my trips down to Indy.
All in all, very thoughtful and practical gifts--so me!
Yesterday was Brad's birthday. What did I give him? An IOU. Yes, Amazon let me down as the gifts weren't delivered in time. Along with two books, he's getting something he's expressed a desire for in the past, this:
Isn't he blessed with the most romantic wife? Hearts of Romaine will be dried in here...
Anyway...all this gift recollecting makes me want to ask:
What was the lamest gift you've received from any significant other in your life? Anything you thought was horrid and then came to value? Anything you just couldn't hide your upset about? Anything that others would think lame, but instead was your heart's joy (um, like a vacuum or a salad spinner?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Because it's always nice to meet new folks, I've linked up here today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Because it's always nice to meet new folks, I've linked up here today.





12 comments:
brad got a salad spinner?? ohmyword… that's hilarious. but i bet he loved it. as would i… that's the kind of thing you dream of {well at least i do} but would never indulge in for myself. so a gift it would have to be.
that said… i'm not sure how i would receive such a gift. yes i want one, but over new clothes or a massage?
notsomuch.
love this! a guy i dated once got me a hubcap, which was actually quite romantic b/c i really needed one and would never have bought it for myself. :)
Ouch - gift giving brings back painful memories. Hubby and I were window shopping, prior to becoming engaged. We watched the newest lava lamp do its stuff and I said that I found it interesting. Hubby took my interest to mean I would want one and later presented it to me as a gift. I felt that it was romantic. My mom, the ever practical one, said that I should not accept it - it was too expensive, hubby was a poor student who couldn't afford it, and she made me return it and give him the money back. Hubby has never bought me a spontaneous gift - except for flowers - again. I always have to be present when he buys me a gift. He understood my mom's concern, but I had a very hard time with it.
So that's my story!! Yours is a lot sweeter!
My husband gave me a foot massage for my birthday last year. The gift card is still in my purse. I am hoping the place is still in business by the time we finally get out of session (they just went into a 30-day special extension). It kind of weirded me out at first, but then he explained how his dad had had circulation problems and had foot massages. So then I could see where he was coming from. :)
My husband HATES to wait on things. It makes gift buying a challenege. Seriously.
As a result, I bought him an iPod when they first came out. I was so proud I'd gotten to it first.
Right. He was not in love & took it back. (This was May)
That December, our Christmas gift to each other was a trip to HI. He decided he needed an iPod & re-purchased the exact same one right before our trip.
He got coal (I work for a steel company) for Christmas.
My husband is SO great at gift giving! He listens all year to what I say I like or what I look at in stores and then purchases something I love for my bday in Nov or Christmas. I on the other hand am not good at buying the perfect something. I love to give practical gifts but stress so much about finding the perfect one! I love that you got Brad a salad spinner!
aww, sweet and funny...
Don't think I've ever gotten anything too funny or bad..other than a yellow t-shirt from a business trip to Brazil...I don't wear t-shirts, or the color yellow.. So that wasn't the best...
But let me know if you like that salad spinner... I'm thinking of getting one(for Juan...tee-hee...)
:-)
LOL This is just too funny. I snickered the whole time. The hubs and I don't buy each other gifts so I don't have to worry about lame gifts. Hmmm, this was his idea, so maybe this was his way of putting himself out of misery.
I love this, Ellen! I am SO NOT a gift expecting person. I really do cringe at the thought of good money being wasted on something that's only to look at. So I can truthfully say that I have never been disappointed in a gift I've received.
I think his panic attack looking at the pantyhose is precious, though!
I can't think of lamest, but the most thoughtful gift was a series of dance lessons. I love to dance and I often ask if we could look into going dancing sometimes (but not clubbing ,,, so ,, I have no idea what 'going dancing' would look like!) Anyway, Dave does goofing around dancing but we've never really gone dancing on a date.
So he bought US dance lessons and we took 4 salsa lessons (Serious dancing, it's more difficult than it looks!) and we did go dancing afterwards once, which was great fun. And we showed off a bit at our wedding!
And I love my salad spinner, so that would be my heart's joy if it had been a gift. As it is, it's one of the best purchases I ever made for myself! :)
I'm not sure if this counts, but one Christmas I got super upset that Justin wasn't putting thought into gifts he shocked me with the most thoughtful set of gifts ever. I received:
- a light up elephant (Christmas Decoration) BECAUSE:I lov...e Christmas, and decorations, and lights, and elephants
- He "adopted" a polar bear for me which came with a stuffed polar bear toy, a certificate and a ton of cute postcards BECAUSE I love polar bears and am devastated that they may go extinct.
- A white tank top BECAUSE I wear them a lot.
- Some other small odds and ends that were equally awesome.
I had a hard time answering the question "Oh, What did Justin get you for Christmas?" because when i said these items, they looked at me with sympathy and confusion.. they didn't realize that I loved my gifts, and loved him even more for picking them. Since then, he gets me a new light up Christmas animal for every Christmas, so one day I can have a Christmas zoo.
I've been asking for a puppy for years now, but so far, no luck :(
Bananas!
Post a Comment