Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Encouragement from My Friend Helen

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. 
You just run."
- John Bingham, 
American marathon runner


Helen made me cry by writing this on my facebook wall last night when I was hurting about something else. She didn't know I was sad, but she helped me anyway.
See, you just never know when a kind word will soften a heart.  
I ran, only a bit, but I ran.  I came back upstairs, read this, then I cried a bit, only a bit, and all around I felt tired but so much better.

9 comments:

ALI said...

Sending huge hugs for whatever is going on, and rejoicing in the kind unexpected words of a friend.

purejoy said...

sometimes the hardest steps are the first. the choice to get up and go. bravo for making the hardest steps.
don't know what was weighing on your heart yesterday, but pray today is lighter and brighter. praying the Lord gives you an extra measure of spring in your step today.

{{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Friends are a source of strength for me too!

About running...I so appreciated this quote... very true!

Serendipity is Sweet said...

Sorry you are hurting. So true that a kind word can mean so much and change the way the world looks.

{{hugs}}

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I'm so sorry you're hurting - but isn't it awesome how God uses us to send comfort when we need it.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

That is so awesome, Ellen. Awesome that those few words smoothed the edges of your day like that. Wonderful! :)

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I'm okay. Some family stuff that's been around for a while really got me down last night. I was going to post about it, but instead I ran...a bit.

Stacy said...

Looking for the "like" button. :/ Good for you not letting the bad stuff win and going for a run. A good friend is a treasure.

AMY said...

I LOVE it! Very incouraging words!
Thanks for all the support & comments on my colonoscopy tomorrow! I'll be so happy I did it and am taking care of myself.

Thanks....you're a Sweetheart!