Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grounds for the Ground (Q of the W)

     I don't drink coffee.  Just felt the need to confess that.  Brad does, and his grounds and filters go in our little compost bin.  I do tutor.  I tutor at Starbucks.  Kind of weird to tutor in a coffee shop when I'm not a coffee drinker, but I work with it.
    The back of our townhouse.  Ho hum...for now!
Compost bin is hidden behind the bush by the grill. 
(I stood against the neighbor's house to snap this.)

      Yesterday, after lamenting about the poor soil quality in the planting areas of our tiny backyard (I'm not kidding, it's itty bitty) in my last post, I went off to tutor, and I saw a sign. Literally a sign at Starbucks stating they give away coffee grounds to gardeners.  So I asked for some without admitting I am not a gardener.  The girl bagged some up and handed them to me.  (I'm not too happy about the double plastic bags, but I plan to use them again.)

Bag of grounds in front of slowly growing pumpkin plants

     I came home and quickly researched how to use them.  There are a variety of ways, but I chose the easiest.  Sprinkle around plants and then water.  Hm.  People had some really good ideas to share on this site.  (Could I start asking my neighbors for their grounds?  Would I?)

 Brad's new sedum plants with a blue larkspur, trust me, the coffee is there 'round each one.

My new delphiniums and daisies (flea market buys).
     Anyway,  I tried it. My hands got brown, and my garden smelled good.  After using it up, I came inside and called another Starbucks, one closer to home, but I was told they only give espresso grounds, and they were "out."  It looks like each store has its own policy.  I'm not giving up.  I tutor today too, and I plan to call "my" shop and request they hold some for me. A bag or two a week might be just what our clay laden dirt is in need of.  (Mulch would be nice too, but the builder is supposed to supply that...)

     Tying this to the Question of the Week, 
what little green change have you implemented lately?


Our new flowering vine (bought with the sedum after our bike ride on Monday), 
and the new trellis bought last night at Lowe's.  
Got my fleur di lis and hopefully in a year or so lots of color and camouflage!
I'm hoping, of course, all these perennials take off.
 
A carnation plant that might be heading back to Lowe's.  
Truth, it had some brown on it when I bought it last week; 
my greenthumblessness is not entirely to blame!

7 comments:

Stacy said...

When we lived with my grandmother back in the mid-80s she was enrolled in the government program that gave cheese, rice, and powdered milk to low income families/retirees. When we moved in she asked if she could get more and they said yes. More cheese? Good. More rice? Good. More powdered milk? Not good. Who actually drinks that stuff?? Anyway, Nana spread it around in her flower beds, said it was good for the plants and since hers were always gorgeous....

Pam C said...

What does the coffee do for the plants - keep them perky?

Rebecca Jo said...

HAHA - I just laughed at what Pam C wrote :)

I didnt realize coffee was so good for the soil! I dont drink it either but my step daughter does & she's all about natural stuff so going to share that with her about Starbucks - she's an addict!

I try to be "green" as possible - I'm a recycler - even to the bane of my husband - because I have to drive it all to the recycle center - no pick up in the country for that kinda stuff.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Rebecca, I love that you put the extra effort into recycling!

Stacy, I'm going to try the milk. (I just researched it and your gramma was spot on!)

Pam, the coffee gives them pep, but the espresso would be too much--no one needs hyper plants!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm not a coffee drinker either and had never heard it was good for plants. Interesting! :)

Loved Pam's comment!

Daenel T. said...

I tried the coffee thing and all that happened was that my yard smelled like I was growing coffee beans. I loved the smell but not the mold that came later. I guess I was doing something wrong. LOL

Ellen aka Ellie said...

MOLD? Uh oh...more research to do!