Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quiet Weekend

     Since neither of us has family nearby, and our friends are ensconced in their own traditions, we had a quiet--but utterly lovely--holiday weekend.  Brad did have to work on Saturday, but then I, truly we, got going on my "do and go" list.
     Saturday night he was out showing houses, so I attempted to sew. My machine kept jamming, so no pretty tote bag to show you today.  I have to get back to it.  It's not the sewing, it's the mechanics of that Singer that have me flummoxed.
      On Sunday we went to church, great message and music.  Then I dragged Brad to the Kane County Flea Market.  I love the flea!  We had a crappy lunch, walked around a lot, people watched, and we bought some candy and perennials. 
 Insert bald guy joke here.
 Lots of colorful yard and patio art.
Even Jesus loves the flea. 
(This artist painted on reclaimed "canvases," in this case a floor mat.)
     Yesterday, we got up early enough, strapped our bikes to my car and drove a wee bit north for a scenic ride on the Fox River.  We had breakfast at a cute little place in Geneva, and then we rode through their historic district.  We came upon a nursery, and when we were done riding we went back for more perennials.
     Some views of the Fox:

   

     It was a perfect day for a ride, though by the time we left it was crowded, and people were doing stupid things, so I was glad we did this early in the morning.
     We came home both days and planted our perennials.  If you're wondering where those photos are, well, I didn't take any.  We were really hot and sweaty, it's hard work breaking up clay.  Our teeny tiny yard is full of really horrible soil, and so the plants haven't been doing all that well.  Just last week, I planted a carnation plant that seems to be coughing out it's last breath as we work to save it.  So, perhaps in time some photos of the plants that survive...I hope to work more on the soil quality.
     Fireworks last night.  I'm no artist with my point and shoot, so I just sat back and enjoyed the show.  Our Canadian friend who went with us said, "You really know how to do fireworks in the States."  He's right!
     Back to reality, Brad's cleaning house (yes he really is Mr. Clean), and I'm off to tutor three of my cuties today.
     Happy Tuesday!
    

7 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Love the picture with the "clip on hair" :)

What beautiful scenery for a ride! That'd make me get out more often!

Pam C said...

You have become a photographer extraordinaire!

Stacy said...

The bike trail looks beautiful. I hope Tim makes time to do things like that someday before it's too late. I know he'd like it if I could just get him out there.

The hair picture is just too funny. :)

Beth Zimmerman said...

Happy Tuesday, Ellie! Some day I'm going to have the agility and stamina for fun bike rides again!

Mrs4444 said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend. Ours was quiet, too.

How in the world did I not know you live in Wisconsin, too?! Hey, Neighbor! :)

ALI said...

Glad you are feeling better & was able to get out & enjoy some of this fast moving summer...

It is disappearing before we know it.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Sounds like a really nice weekend! I absolutely love flea markets. So many treasures to be found. :)