The next day, a mama robin started hanging out and taking care of him, yet every time I came out he peeped for food from me. So I fed him too. (And I named him Horace, an unattractive name so I wouldn't get too attached.) Brad suggested I leave a bit of food handy for Mom to feed him. She is very skittish, and she flies away whenever we come near the patio window.
This is him on Saturday. He's still ugly, but he's a different kind of ugly, a healthier ugly. I've received lots of advice on facebook regarding how best to take care of him, but he's doing okay with the bread and water and Mom diet. We have neighbors who are checking on him too. It's pretty funny!
We had a party on Sunday and it was scorching hot, so Brad cut up a box condo and sheltered him. I brought him food and water, and I showed him to Maeve (my two-year-old friend). This is what he does when he wants to eat:
He chirps so loud (we hear him from inside), and when I feed him he falls over backward. It's funny 'cause I was feeling bad that he'd fall backward until I noticed he did this for his other mom (um, his bird mom), too. He also still likes the water from the hose to be sprinkled his way.
Overall he's doing well, and just like a "real" baby, he poops when I feed him--so all systems are go. My one big concern, the lawn maintenance guys are coming to cut our
Later this morning...
Thanks to all my Spanish translators on facebook. I used Tommy's words since he said please and thank you!
The chair was added above the box condo to assuage neighbor Ashlee's anxiety. They can't miss seeing him now!
Horace this morning. When I started walking away, he was chirping. Mom is somewhere nearby, I heard her chipping at me.
Now, if the mowers don't come today, I will leave this set up until they do. One day I know he'll suddenly be gone from me, though Brad says we'll see him walking before he flies, but I don't want him gone from me due to a lawnmower!
Six O'Clock PM
Even though we checked him this afternoon and shaded him from the heat, Horace died. I just went back to check on him and found him beautifully feathery but dead. Yes, I cried. Brad said it was the fault of the heat. I still just feel responsible somehow.


13 comments:
I am so happy! God sent the little guy to the right person. I wonder if he will always come back to you after flying south for the winter?
I'm so glad he's doing well!!! Look at the little feathers he's got now!!! :)
Smart making shade for him - he's scortch to death!!! Can you give him drops of water? Is that allowed?
OHHHHHH - yes - make sure you get that sign up. Now I'll be worried about that - post if he's ok after the trimmers come!
GO HORACE!!!!
You go, Horace!
I'm thinking with a happy ending here you should write a children's book about this.
Those lawn guys better not mess with him!
What a great summer adventure! You will have to let us know if he makes it thru the lawn mowing!
Update...
We think the mowers have switched their day until tomorrow. They're usually here by now!
We have a Robin's nest in the tree right outside J's bedroom window. Out of 3 - only 1 birdie is left. J was so sad he the other 2 left before he got to see them fly.
We figured telling him they flew away was better than saying that either Momma or a Vulture kicked them out of the nest to the ground.
His little feathers look sort of blue! Maybe he's a bluejay! will a momma robin take care of a non-robin baby? I'm thinking so, since I always thought if humans touched a baby bird the momma bird would shun the baby. Even with gloves, there's still human scent on the gloves! This is a very cool story and I too look forward to the happy ending.
God sent El a smile
Covered in down and feathers
Horace chirps for food
LOL "His other mom" You are by far the best human mom a bird could ever have. And I'm glad that Horace is doing well. *chirp chirp*
Could be a jay except I've never seen a jay around here in the four years we've lived here.
Maybe we'll see, maybe he'll fly.
No mowing today. The grass sure doesn't need it, the only thing growing is the crab grass!
Awwww. Little Horace. And I like his name! What a blessing this is during your home-bound time! What a fun story to share with your new class in the fall. Keep up with the pictures (which are great!)
You could entitle the book
My Two Moms
I was so excited until I read the 6 o'clock update. I'm so sorry. I'm sure that you extended his life. The care you gave was tremendous and I applaud you. Don't be too sad. I imagine he;s flying in a different set of Heavens now.
:-)
Traci
Ah Ellie ... I'm so sorry! I cried over our silly chicken when she dies too. Critters are just heart stealers!
Post a Comment