Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Equations

     September was busy, overwhelming, tiring, frustrating and heartbreaking.  Normally I work to focus on the positive, but September just wore me out.  It's fitting that I fell asleep on the couch last night by 8:15 (after messily painting my nails red and with both arms hanging off couch), got myself upstairs at one point, and slept until 8:11 this morning.  (Brad was so snoringless at his usually heavy sleep and breathe time, that I wondered if he was even in bed.)
     I woke to realize we're in a new month.  Looking ahead I have much to do work wise, the exhaustion isn't going to abate,  but today I'm going to focus on the good stuff:
Haircut today = good-bye mullet (no photo available!)
Library books turned in today = avoiding collections 
(one is a week overdue, and yeah, collections has already been threatened)
Rare warm days = a few more bike rides
The arrival of these = fun bling for Art and me
Columbus the wretched = a day off from school
Learning a new science unit = smarter Ellie
Mac coming home for a wedding = happy mom
His friend Julie visiting from Paris  = we're saving for a dinner out
Tomorrow a 5K = Today asking, "Will I make it?"
Three weeks from now a 5K = Today asking, "Should I try another?"
Birthday month = first coupon in email for a free burger (Red Robin)
Phone dying + birthday month + contract ending = new phone
Halloween (ugh) = reason to put Snoopy and Charlie Brown on my stairs (cute)
Blue skies on a weekend = drive to pumpkin farm, even though we're just two old folks
(photo taken at Kuipers last year)
Seeing how long we can go without turning on the furnace = smaller gas bills for as long as possible!

What's your simple pleasure math for this month?

5 comments:

purejoy said...

I can relate on about every level. Finished week two of C25K. I lived through it! Not sure about this next week, but one day at a time. I'm walking briskly for about 1.5 hours on the days in between. Thanking God for wonderful friends whose generosity overwhelms my heart… thankful to put an end to September and press on. Fall is here (high of 65 today… YIKES!).

Stacy said...

I have at least 4 term papers to write this month. Surviving them will equal a VERY happy (and relieved) me. I also get to go to Hershey for three whole days with Beth. :) Mmmm...and I got to wear a turtleneck today. I love turtlenecks.

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Wow, that is a lot of math for one month! Sounds like you have a lot of fun stuff planned :) Can't wait to go to our pumpkin farm with the kids. Such great time of year!

Unknown said...

Reading your post and the comments of the other readers put a smile on my face. Why? Because my husband is now on hospice, and it has really been challenging. It has taken away so much of the simple things in life; things we both loved to do together. Reading this post was good for me. It made me realize that I have let this recent trial rob me of what once gave me such joy. I determined to make comfort list for myself and my Johnny, just the simplest of things we can do to keep our mind on the UP-SIDE of things.
Hope you accomplish all you set out to do. Create as many special memories as you can. Life is short- is a wisp of smoke- here- then gone. Blessings.

ALI said...

I normally never enjoy fall. As a kid it meant school starting, summer ending, no more swimming, enter snow boots & coats. Enter snow in general.

Plus trick or treating that my parents did not encourage participation.

However, this year with J, I have to admit, I'm pretty excited. I'm excited for him. I'm having a blast sharin this season with him.

Yay for new phone & Mac coming home!