Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Question of the Week

Confession:  I watch some reality TV.
The Real Housewives of New Jersey,
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,
and American Idol.

I'm am so far from hip.
Never claimed to be anything but suburban.
Midwestern suburban.
So I don't get, can't get, anything to do with 
any Kardashian.

So my ask this week:
Why do you or others find the Kardashians watchable?

Not judging here.  
Okay, maybe I am.
But what is it about them that makes people care?
Is it because they are pretty?
I know lots of beautiful women who are more interesting, maybe even you.
(Only "maybe" in case you're a man. If you're a man, and you are reading this, you are interesting and handsome.)

Explain...

7 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I've, just over the past 2 years, became a Real Housewives junkie. Beverly Hills is my favorite. I love Lisa & Kyle... Kim? That girl needs some help! How did they not see that?

The Kardashains... I'll only watch it when I'm bored & a marathon is on. For me, I'm amazed how they are so rich for no reason.. have the privileges they have just for being ... what?... I dont even know?... I'm also entranced by their accent. The way they talk mystifies me... its not normal.

Stacy said...

I don't get them at all. Or Real Housewives. Or Jersey Shore. On the other hand we're addicted to Storage Wars, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Lizard Lick Towing....I guess we just like redneck reality. ;P

purejoy said...

The same reason why we watch a train wreck? Or maybe it's our voyeuristic tendencies? I'm not sure. I've never watched any of those… but you know I watch the Bachelor… {not this season… yet} and it's like watching an accident. Does this sort of stuff make us feel like "oh, I'm so much better than that!"? Do we watch this sort of crap so we can feel better about ourselves?
I hate to think of myself as that kind of shallow. Or that it takes so LITTLE to entertain me.
Good question. I'm afraid I don't have the answer.

purejoy said...

It would NOT let me post with my wordpress ID. Weird.

lisa :) said...

A few years ago I decided to give up watching any "reality" TV that didn't involve actual talent. (I still enjoy some shows like Project Runway, Cupcake Wars, and Top Chef because it seems like there's actual creativity and skill involved). I just don't see the point of watching pseudo-celebrities and therefore feeding the pockets of the wealthy - I'd rather watch TV to appreciate something that someone has created/written/acted or to actually learn a little something (like yes, you can create a delicious cupcake using BBQ pork or design an evening gown out of candy wrappers in less than a day).

I also read an article recently that Kim Kardashian hosted a "charity" auction on eBay in which only 10% of the money she made actually went to the cause she supported. The other 90 went right back into her pockets. I just can't understand how the public still fawns over her.

Brad said...

My wife says that I am interesting and handsome. So it must be true.

After all, I'm reading this...

Kayla said...

I think the Kardashian's represent a modern day, idiotic royalty that we call celebrity-dom. The only thing that really happened to them was they were born and made a series of questionable life decisions that make them the famously ridiculous people they are today.

Plainly said, I am not a fan of a girl (Kim) who basically got famous for creating a sex tape. I have too much pride in being a female to let her and her sisters be a representation of our gender. But I just watched this documentary on women in the media, so I could be biased.

I mirror previous commenter who is fascinated by how they speak. That's a mystery I've hoped would be solved.. lol