Winter where I lived is ugly. I can hate it, as I did for years, or I can savor it. I'm choosing to do the latter. It only took me until my late forties to decide that. Pretty sad, since I've lived here all my life. I've decided to look at winter weekends as a time to just be with Brad, exercise, read, cook, bake, knit, "craft," and nap.
This was a lazy three day weekend. I savored ever picayune moment of it. I ran silly little errands, I paid bills, I went to church (incredibly well taught message on "The Book of Revelation"), and I made stuff. I didn't do my homework until late last night.
Missing Christmas a little bit, so my niece Alice and I made a heart paper chain for the mirror over the fireplace:
There's something sweetly gratifying about whipping up something quick like this; something childlike in the simple pleasure derived when it's displayed. I thought Brad would find it silly, but he came down from working in his office and said it was festive.
While Alice colored (she is almost 19), I made these found-on-Pinterest but modified coasters:
All that was needed were .16 tiles from Home Depot, one sheet of scrapbook paper, and some Matte Mod Podge. The tutorial found via Pinterest suggests spraying them with clear spray paint, but I opted to seal them with two coats of Mod Podge. Less stinky that way. (Total cost, without Mod Podge, $1.23 for the four.) Loving the little touch of red they bring to the room.
I used this vintage inspired paper last year too, isn't it adorable?
(original source cannot be located)
Friday night, I started reading this, but found I needed quiet to do so, so I've added it to 2012's Mount to Be Read:It's quite profound, and I want to give it the time and prayer it's due.
Instead, I read, Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom. At moments, it was hilarious.
We ate well too, thank you God for your provisions, and we talked about healthy eating. It's good to want to make changes we both feel the need for.
On Sunday night, I tried baked sweet potatoes for the first time. Look-out, I loved them. Yes, I'm 51, and yes I know it's weird I never had sweet potatoes--except once as fries--before.
On Monday, my friend Katie posted this on Pinterest:
I made it for Monday's dinner with a few modifications. Brad does most of the food prep during the school year, so he's open to me trying anything when I'm willing to open a can or two. It was tasty, and it's today's lunch too.
It's funny to have written picayune above and then to share many details with you. I'm sure you all had more exciting weekends than mine. Tell me about them?
And now I step into the maelstrom known as the end of the semester...final projects, assessments, grading, report cards. I feel ready, I feel rested. Remind me of that?



5 comments:
Francis Chan = Amazing mind & way of delivering a message!!!!
I have always wanted to make coasters... thought it would be great gifts for Christmas to have them monogrammed... but LOVING your v-day ones!
As usual, love your craft projects! I'm jealous you had a 3-day weekend...we don't get MLK Day off. I didn't have a very exciting weekend. Friday we went to dinner and a movie (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Saturday I went shopping in the morning (didn't find anything), napped in the afternoon, and watched football in the evening.
Glad you enjoyed and relaxed on your long week-end! Little pleasures can have a huge impact on our contentment!
Oh hip, hip HOORAY for your winter change of heart!!!! I LOVE this!
Of course, you know I've been a winter lover all my life, but hearing others whine, moan, and complain about this lovely season breaks my heart.
If ONLY they knew the joys of a warm crackling fire while the "weather outside is frightful" and the warm yellow glow of windows, and a jig saw puzzle with a cup of hot chocolate and ice skating, and skiing, and the absolute BEAUTY of pine frosted in white with the occasional splash of red from cardinals in the branches, and the list goes ON and ON.
Love the paper heart chain! I don't think I've ever seen one before. Nice!
And the Tex-Mex looks yummy. Hopefully I'll give that one a try.
Have a great day,
Tina
Post a Comment