For "Holy Week," I decided to spend my entire commute to work time praying. No radio, no checking my phone at red lights, just time with God. My drive is a half an hour.
Monday was, well, quiet. I prayed--starting out with all the things weighing on my heart. Not just asks for me, but for so many others. I told Him I could follow a formula of adoration, thanks and praise, but sometimes I just need to get the supplication off my chest! (He'd know I was just going through the motions--nobody gets "yadda, yadda, yadda," like God.) Then I sang to Him a bit (He's probably the only one who loves my voice). That praise was timely and just right--no formula needed. About ten minutes into it, I was still. I was hard not touch that dial.
Habit.
Tuesday, I had more to say, and I had more to sing. I included more thanks. My words poured out even more conversationally. The time went more quickly. I told Brad of my little prayer plan, and he smiled and said, "Well, if you're going to die in a collision, that's the time to to it, when you're talking with Him!"
I had thought that too, not in a macabre way, but in a peaceful way. I wonder too if other drivers notice. Do they think I'm using a hands free device? In that way, they are right...Do they wonder if I'm praying? I hope so. A little road witnessing.
Wednesday, there just seemed to be so much more to talk with Him about. I couldn't believe how close I got to school while still talking with Him and singing to Him. The stillness also held a richness.
Today, I sit here right before I'm ready to leave, and my list is full.
Quite simply put, during each day I have become a bit more aware of others' needs. Prayer requests have come up during lunch in the teachers' lounge (not that they're always shared as such), they have been posted on facebook, people have just plain old asked me. I am eager for my morning drive time with God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Again, I need a "Like" button. I often spend my morning drive to work talking to God, too. I wonder what others think sometimes when they see, too, like on Monday when I had tears pouring down my face by the time I pulled in at work. Or if they think I'm nuts because one of my favorite techniques is to picture Jesus sitting in the passenger seat and I just talk to him like I would anyone else.
Ellen, I love this. I especially love when you say "I sing to him". Reminds me of when my daughter says "can I sing you a song?" and I listen as if it's the best song I've ever heard or ever will. I never thought of singing TO him, I've always thought of singing in a collective praise ABOUT him.
Love that you gave me new perspective about it!
What a great thing... I smiled when you talked about singing on Monday...
Today I took a walk down by the river.. and cried...I felt so overwhelmed and it just crept up on me because I am having a great day...I asked for comfort and a calm heart and all of sudden...and I am not making this up..I was calm and and peace...it was so weird like the spirit cruising thru my body!
So like I said this week has been fabulous!
This is so awesome! I always listen to Christian radio and one time I was at a stop light ... worshiping, completely carried away in the music ... until the guy from the car behind me got out of his car, walked to mine, and knocked on the window to see if I was okay and could I please move. Thank Heavens (and the Lord thereof) he was nice about it! Maybe he recognized the music!
what a beautiful post! The power of prayer is a beautiful thing!! Happy Easter!
This is a really beautiful post, Ellen; I just love it. Thanks for sharing your idea.
Post a Comment