Saturday, April 14, 2012

Niece Shoes

I like these flats.  But I like more what, no, who they remind me of.

Alice.

My niece.

She of the homeless mom.  Alice is living with us now, for a time, while she's waiting to move in with my brother Jim who is finishing up her bathroom at his house.  It is my hope as she becomes more a part of my life she stays a part of my life.  Her mom kept her from us for too long.

Al works for Shoe Carnival. Her first weekend here, we stopped in the local shop, and I bought these flats with her discount.  For a total of $14 I am now the proud owner of orange floral flats.  They make me smile.

I'm also doing things like having mother-daughter talks--beyond weird for the mom of a 25-year-old son, but I'm good with it.

Shoes, Unlisted.  "Our Price," $34.99.  
The fact that they are super less than symmetrical?  
I like that more than the orange!

8 comments:

christian mohrhauser said...

Those are so cool and the story is even better. I think they fit your personality perfectly.

Daenel T. said...

How many ways do I heart those shoes? They're just too cute and, dare I say, funky! I'm glad you're getting a chance to spend some time with Alice. I'm sure the stability and love that she's receiving from you and your family means a lot to her. I'll be praying that this new connection remains a permanent part of her life.

purejoy said...

The shoes are sweet, but the connection with your niece even sweeter. Praying for significant time with her and that it will have eternal fruit.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Oh, I didn't realize I was writing a prayer request! But I do thank you both for your prayers.

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Initially I came here because the second I saw you post the picture of those shoes on facebook I was in love with them! I'm also very excited about the bargain! However, what warmed my heart the most after reading this post was reading the investment you are pouring into your niece. Mother daughter talks are cherrished, even if not from your biological mother. My mother and I have somewhat of a challenging relationship, but there was a woman, who I believe God put in my life to fill that need. The talks she and I have, those are truly cherrished. (Check out titus 2:3-4)

Alicia Rae said...

Because there's no room to write a comment on your "about me" section I am hoping it is alright that I am leaving one on here that's not about the shoes. Your about me says: "I picture myself as a tapestry, beautiful in His eyes--my Maker's, but full of knots and gaping holes when viewed with my own critical eye. I hope, when I write about important things, He is pleased, and when I write about silly things He laughs at (with) me." and I just wanted to say how BEAUTIFUL that is. Thank you for the reminder of who I am in His sight. It was a good place setter! :)

momto8 said...

the shoes look great!! hope everything works out with all of you!! good luck!

Thriftanista in the City said...

I love those! Nice bright red.