1. Have you ever played golf? Any interest in playing? Do you have a significant other who loves to play? Did you watch the Masters this weekend?
Years ago, one of my brothers attempted to teach me. He said I had a natural swing, and that amazed me because I'm not a natural at anything athletic. I was into it, one lesson's worth, until I 1) found out how much golfing costs, and 2) remembered that I had give up mini-golf just because I was really awful at it. Eventually, the ball is expected to get into that hole. Par five for a whole hole is negated when I need 8 strokes on the green alone.
Brad used to play golf, but it is damaging to his back, so his never used golf shoes are going on Craigslist. I found out he has said shoes while the men watched the Masters and I struggled to stay awake on Sunday afternoon after a delicious lunch.
Sidenote: I once went to the US Open because I had a crush on Ben Crenshaw. I was 15, he was cute. That is the total of my fandom. Decades past and pretty boring.
2. Hats are back in fashion this spring...how do you feel about wearing a hat? (FYI--I'm not talking baseball caps.) When was the last time you wore one?
I have a dry scalp. Hats, even baseball caps, drive me crazy because they make me itch so. I also have naturally wavy/curly hair. You think straight hair gets flattened by a hat? Try Bozo hair! My husband loves for me to try on hats, but we've yet to buy one. I really don't know where (I'd be able to stand) to wear it.
3. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being "proficient" and 1 being "I'd starve," how adept are you at using chopsticks?
If chopsticks were the only utensils to use while eating and fingers alone were not allowed, that would be a two--I'd be a size two. Is that what you mean? If I could stab the food with the end of stick, I'd get some nourishment but it would be awfully tedious. Cheerios would be a challenge...
Years ago I went to London where I stopped one night to eat Chinese food. I asked for a fork, and I was mocked by my server. Eye rolling is universal says this American who was eye-rolled by a Chinese woman working in England.
4. Has technology taken over?
Taken over what?
5. In the course of a day, how often do you look in a mirror?
If rear view mirrors don't count, then not many.
I look in the mirror quite a bit when I'm getting ready for work--have you even noticed that outfits that seem great in your mind don't always look so great on the body holding your mind?
After the morning, I don't look again until I'm home that night. I'm a teacher, I'm just too
6. Tulip or daffodil?
Tulip. I kick myself each spring for not planting tulip bulbs the previous fall. Confession? We're not supposed to plant anything, we live in a townhouse and there are rules, but I plant anyway. Just not tulips. Yet.
Later today* I will post a photo of my tulips centerpiece from Easter. I snapped photos of them this morning, but my school laptop is not being receptive to my decision to download them. Next year my own will be in that vase, with you as my witness! (Can you hear the resolve of Scarlett O'Hara in that proclamation?)
7. I am proud of myself for __________________.
Giving blood. Can I move this one to number one?
I AM PROUD OF MYSELF FOR GIVING BLOOD!
I understand there are some people who medically cannot give blood. But bluntly put, most can but don't. Yes, I've had bruising. Yes, I've been turned away (for low iron). Yes, I usually get a headache. Yes, I hate needles. (For Pete's sake, who likes needles?)
But I go to give. I'm so happy to do it, I cry when there is success. The people who work for Heartland, where I donate, are amazing. If they have to stick me a number of times, I let them. Giving blood saves lives. The pain I feel is nothing compared to what any of the recipients of my donation are enduring.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
(I'm feeling very parenthetical today.)
*Done 6:28 PM



13 comments:
Golf is quite possibly the most boring game ever. Ever!
I can't wear hats. I try but I can't.
You're right - golfing IS expensive. Guess they have to keep up the cost of keeping those greens green
HEY - there's an idea - I need to start eating with chop sticks... the newest diet craze!!! :)
I'm proud of you too for giving blood... it changes lives!!! I wish I could... I dont have enough for myself (horribly anemic).
I'm glad you've joined in. My youngest daughter is student teaching 2nd grade right now and hoping for a job this fall. She's starting on her Master's this summer so not a lot of down time but she's young and single so might as well get it knocked out.
Thanks for giving blood. My niece has had gallons, literally, this past year as she was diagnosed with leukemia last August. She was just released from the hospital Easter weekend. We are not permitted to donate after living in the UK. It kind of depends on which site I look at but most say no. I am on the bone marrow donor list and they didn't make that a criteria but I know my sister in law had to sign an ok to allow donor cells from someone who'd lived in the UK. Anyway-thanks for donating.
thanks for donating blood. Thats a wonderful thing to do.
I play golf once a year and did the "end zone dance" once when I shot par on a par three hole. The dance included jubilant shouts and those behind us shouted "hole in one?" to which I cheerily responded "NO, I shot par!" I think one guy actually hurt himself laughing. I do not wear hats as they give me hat head. Thick course hair + hat head = Bigtime Bozo. I do wear visors, which are actually awesome on bad hair days. (sadly, cannot be worn in the work place ,,, unless you're a lifeguard, a poker dealer, or a professional golfer to which I can answer: not, not, and see first response above!) I'm proud to be a "10" at something: can honestly say I am a "10" at chopsticks. I can even eat rice with them. And thank you for donating blood, Ellen. I never have. (My guess is that was the important question!)
I love hats, but don't have the confidence to wear them in public.
The blood center calls me all the time to donate platelets, but my iron is too low. I guess I should try to beef it up and do my part.
My ex husband tried to teach me how to play golf and told me that teaching me was actually ruining his game... I'm hopeless, but in college, I worked for a guy that did concession stands at big events, so I've been "t-side" and seen quite a few golfers (and tennis players for that matter) up close!
1. I am actually dying to learn how to play golf. Ryan's going to teach me this summer.
2. I like hats, but other than winter snow hats, I don't wear many. I do have two "newsie" style hats that I wear once in a while, but I'm not one of those hat people that always has one on.
3. I'm proud that I am someone my friends turn to for advice.
4. I am a 9 at chopsticks. I can't say I could thread a needle with one, but I can fumble through a dish of rice using a pair (and that's not too shabby!)
1. Golf
I would go to the driving range with the Mr back before kids. I continued to go, despite my large with-child midsection. Then when we had kids I found it impossible to justify spending that kind of dough to play a game I'm horrible at PLUS a sitter. A collective sigh of relief from the entire golf community.
2. Hats
Hmmm. I like them but am intimidated by them. Wore one to a Derby party last year and felt like a dork the entire time. Plus who wants hat hair? I will don a ball cap, but only if it's an awful hair day or I need to keep my hair out of my face whilst exercising.
3. Chopsticks
Ten. I would rather use chopsticks than a fork. Seriously.
Don't let those pretentious Asians get to you. They pretty much can't use silverware with a flip.
4. Technology
Pehaps, but then again, it needs human interaction to do so, it's just up to us to say "enough."
5. Mirror
Oh, gah, as little as possible. Once I'm down 50 pounds, we'll see.
6. Daffodils
They {other than the crocus} is the first sign of spring and are so plentiful in my yard. Tulips seem to take forever. I do have several, and I like them, but the daffodil has my heart.
7. I am proud of myself for __________________.
Writing a three page letter to BamaGirl to share my heart, ask for forgiveness and tell her some of my story. It was cathartic and good for us.
I'm proud of you for giving blood, too.
8. Random:
I will be so glad for Mid-November. I am soooo tired of all this politic BS.
Fun post!
Yea! You finally joined in. :)
By the way, I've given you a blog award. You can find out the details here:
http://livedwell.blogspot.com/2012/04/friday-fragments.html
Loved your conclusion (parenthetical). VERY cute!
And I seriously need to try that Chopstick Diet!
P.S. Commentary (even the unpleasant sort) is not necessarily censorship! It's simply an alternate viewpoint ... the ability to have and express such things is part of what makes humanity interesting! Don't let them/us stop you from expressing YOUR opinion!
Thanks for donating blood and realizing how important it is. It saved my daughter's life 20 years ago.
1. because my husband is an avid golfer, and because we live in the city of the masters tournament, i once did take lessons. i liked it, but i don't like how technical the game is ... for me, too much math involved calculatin distances, lofts, etc.
but i do like to drive the golf cart around.
2. no hats. hats = hathair and i have enough problems.
3. four
4. not in our house
5. just when i'm getting ready
6. either ... love both.
7. i need to think about this one ...
8. i like your use of the word parenthetical.
Post a Comment