Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And on She Doth Podgeth

Joyce, from This Side of the Pond shares some great prompts each week, and for the third week in a row (this is a big deal because I'm not consistent), I'm joining her "Wednesday Hodge Podge."  And yes, I know it's Tuesday...But you might read this post on Wednesday, so there you go!

1. William Shakespeare's birthday is celebrated on April 23rd...when did you last read Shakespeare? What's your favorite Shakespeare play?

I took a Shakespeare class in college, and when we started reading the first play, the other students were all laughing at things that went over my head.  So I went out and got the Cliffs Notes for each play.  I needed them!  I did wind up getting an A, and many of the "laughers" got B's.  I think it's because I had to really work hard researching every paper I wrote.  Can't say I really ever found his work funny.

Though not a Shakespeare fan, I did enjoy Kenneth Branagh's Taming of the Shrew. Emma Thompson is so fun!

2. What food(s) would you recommend a foreign visitor try when they visit your home country?
McDonald's--it's different than in other countries.
Any locally grown fruit or produce.
Chicago deep dish pizza--yum, yum, yum.

3. What's a lie you often tell yourself?
I'm brutally honest with (read "incredibly hard on") myself, and when others find fault, I see it too.   So I don't really kid myself so much...

4. What's something you're good at that might surprise us? Remember this is a family friendly blog!
Reading aloud.  I love to read aloud!

5. Who is your favorite animal character from a book?
Charlotte the spider from Charlotte's Web, or the little mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. 

6. April showers bring May flowers...do you have a green thumb?
My thumbs are a pale shade of green, but they get withery and brown if they see anything exotic...or housey.  I kill a lot of house plants.  They call me a murderess.  

7. Speaking of rainy days...which one of the following activities would you most want to spend time doing on a rainy day-

sort photos and create albums
bake cookies
read a good book
hold an all-day movie marathon
organize closets, cupboards, or bookshelves
try a new recipe
fix something that needs fixing
Read a good book.  Emphasis on good, please!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
My shoe broke today, and I'm uncertain it's worth fixing.  I would miss those cuties. 

12 comments:

Tracy said...

I saw a pair of shoes that look a lot like those at shoe carnival this weekend. I almost bought them. So if you don't want to fix,them maybe you can find a similar pair.

April said...

I've never had a Chicago deep dish pizza before, but I've heard they're to-die-for! Bummer about your shoe. Have a good one!

Joyce said...

Sorry about your shoe. I get unreasonably attached to mine too : ) Maybe you can find a new favorite?

Krista said...

You are very funny! I am glad you are participating in Hodge Podge so I was able to find your blog.

I think Reading Aloud well is great. I will be reading books to my kids and I get distracted and start reading ahead and mess up the story :)

Mocha with Linda said...

Your title cracked me up! Loved reading your answers!

I loved reading aloud to my kids. Sweet memories.

And I have the same problem with my thumb.

Rebecca Jo said...

I love a good 'reader' - I remember in school, this one girl would hold the whole classes attention when she read aloud - everyone would volunteer her everytime. There really is an art to it.

ALI said...

I think those shoes are super cute & still in style, so depending on where they broke, I'd probably take them in to be evaluated & base my fix/not fix on the cost to fix them.

And yes, I did read on Wednesday. :)

Amy said...

I am a BIG shoe lover and really hate getting rid of shoes, but now you get to go buy new ones!!

I like reading out loud and was hired one Christmas as Mrs. Claus and read books to kids. Fun and surprisingly tiring.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Sorry about your shoe! I kill houseplants too... I have two of the same kind... can't remember what they are called that my step MIL gave me when each of my kids were born. They are the only houseplants I've not killed... there is just something about killing plants you were given to commemorate your children's births that seems...wrong... like an omen...so I've managed to keep those alive!

Sweet Carolina Grace said...

The mouse from those books is so cute! I love reading those with my son!

Maria (also Bia) said...

as an english major, my very favorite class was an upper level class devoted to shakespeare. there were only ten of us in the class, we sat around a small conference table with the professor, and we read every. single. shakespeare play and discussed them.

LOVED that class.

kimber said...

I've been such a blog-slacker lately.
I love Stuart from Stuart Little. The book, not the movie. The movie kind of ruined it for me.