Monday, May 28, 2012

Absorb This

I've been away for a while.  Three weeks.  I wish I could say it's because I've been so incredibly busy, but really I've been somewhat busy and incredibly tired.  Mixed in with that (but only a dash), a post I wrote a while back caused some trouble, and to honor the person it hurt I took it down.  But, when I reread it, I see only me attacking myself.  So I feel misunderstood.

Hopefully, someone out there reads this and finds it entertaining and/or helpful. That's my goal...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was invited to a flower planting party for Saturday.  The hostess, my friend Kris, has a large yard which includes an embellished forest full of gorgeous perennials. She loves to share, and often tells me not to buy plants, she'll just share some of hers.

The plan for the party was lunch in the garden, a perennial swap (I had none to dig up), and an annual swap--we each brought a flat of annuals and a pot to plant.

Let it be said, I live in a townhouse where space is limited and we are NOT supposed to plant things in the beds. I do, but only because I want color.  Shame on me, eh?  Let it also be said I know little about plants. 

I was way out of my league, but I still wanted to go, so I called the hostess and asked if I could bring a friend.  That friend is hugely into gardening, and I knew she'd fit right in.

Lunch for 12 was delicious:  cocktails, cold cucumber soup, chicken salad, and lemon cake.

The plants were gorgeous, and Kris dug up and gave me a fern.  It's been replanted and in a few weeks when it's taken, I'll take another photo. Until then, here it is worse for wear:
On to the helpful part of this post.  I learned when planting a pot, one needs, "A filler, a spiller and a thriller."  A plant that spreads, something that grows tall, and flowers or vines that will grow out and over the edge.  I think I'd been doing that with some pots without knowing I was meant to, and I like that little chant.

My pot from Saturday:

The coleus and verbena will thrill, the petunias with spill and the impatiens will fill. (I cannot remember what the fuzzy magenta things are called, but they will fill too.)  Chances are something will choke something else out in time, but right now I love how plush it all looks.

I also learned that when planting in coco liners, putting a "sanitary pad" in each will help them hold their water.  Having had a necessary and successful ablation in December (contact me if you want information, it's the best "woman" medical move I've ever made and more women should know about it), I had some unneeded extras, so I...
 I will tell you, the 12-year-old in me found this pretty funny.  

The finished product, one a spiller and one a thriller, but both less leaky:

Here are two small pots I filled just days before the party:
Turns out the one on the left has all three elements and the one on the right has two.
Like how I rinsed the dirt off the porch for you?

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm willing to learn, and I sure don't mind playing in the dirt.

What have you planted this year?

11 comments:

Stacy said...

You go, girl! I love playing in the dirt. We are dividing hostas today and moving them to new homes around the yard.

The sanitary pad thing is kind of funny...in the same way it's funny that wrestlers know the best quick fix for a bloody nose is a tampon in the nostril. LOL

Daenel T. said...

Glad you had fun! My grandma and dad were BIG gardeners, I kill all green things but love them more than just about anything. I buy, I kill, I buy, I kill. It's a vicious cycle.

Jane said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging. I always appreciate your thoughtful posts and hearing what's going on in your life. I am concerned that you are always so tired. I am also but that's because I don't get enough sleep! You don't strike me as the stay up late type. Have you had that checked out (says the woman who will never go to the doctor unless she's dying)?

Beth Zimmerman said...

Absolutely nothing but looking at your gorgeous potted plants makes me think that maybe I could!

Maria (also Bia) said...

i've been doing some gardening over here, too. i love that quote filler, spiller, thriller ... i just may have to share that with my gardening friend (who happens to be in Rome right now and i'm just a tad envious).

glad you're back!

Rebecca Jo said...

You totally got 'pin' the pot with pads in the bottom of it... a great tip.. that's hilarious to know! :)

Sam | Away She Went said...

It all looks so bright and cheery! I REALLY need to start planting some flowers and plants in the yard. I think it's too hot here already to start now, but maybe in a few months. I think I'll fill a couple pots and put them on the porch until then though.

kimber said...

Beautiful plantings, and I love that you enjoy learning new things, and even moreso… enjoy sharing what you learn. Your gardenings are beautiful! Sorry you have been misunderstood… I hate that you feel silenced. That is happening alot in my corner of the world and I cannot blog to save my life right now.
sigh.
ps
I love that you have so many readers/commenters! How exciting for you! :)

Connie said...

Welcome back!

So far this year Ryan and I have planted a lot: we planted two little shrubs (I think might be a dwarf nandina varietal?) and I've started the veggie container garden: tomato, basil, hot peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce. I've never grown tomato or cucumbers, so we'll see how we do. :)

ALI said...

So glad you are back! Love the flowers!

as to what have I planted? Not a thing... That said, we did take over our yard work this year, so I'm starting to make plans. Maybe next year?

Anonymous said...

Totally Awesome Girl. Beauty and Great 👍 ideas. Thank you sooo Much 😊