Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just Say Jesus

Last week, the first week back to classroom teaching, had me drained.  My student teacher's last day was Thursday, and I taught most of the week.  I can do this, goodness, I've done it for years, but I was straight back to exhausted day one.

I think part of it was because my student teacher was still in the room, and the kids were confused by the transition.  I think it's because though her expectations were high, mine are even higher and the kids had to be reminded to meet them again.  There was a little bit of playing us against each other by the kids that had me feeling extra alert.

There has to be a way, I thought as I drove home feeling so cranky, to bring more Jesus into my classroom.  Better yet, to recognize He IS always there, but I have to consider Him more.

That same night, Brad and I were reading our Jesus Calling for the day, and Sarah Young suggested I just say, "Jesus," before reacting.  Say His name.  Remember He's there.  Okay, that's my paraphrase for what she wrote, but it did answer my prayer. It is a prayer.

As I face the remaining school days of this year, I'm going to work to savor them and not wish to squander them.  This group is a talkative one, and many students have great needs.  I have to recognize that I'm dealing with pressure being heaped on me (on all teachers) like no other year--personnel changes, technology changes and curriculum changes. 

I have to remember they are, cool as they think they may be, little kids. I have to separate external stresses and be their teacher.

"Jesus" will help me.  Jesus IS in my classroom. Time to have Him smiling at me more than shaking His head at me.

6 comments:

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

My word did I need to read this. You know I've had a bear of a year as well... I need to savor this last days and appreciate the students for who they are, but gracious, I'm going to be saying "Jesus" A LOT!

Rebecca Jo said...

I need to put "Jesus is in my office" right in front of my computer screen...

Stacy said...

Isn't it wonderful how just saying his name invites him into...whatever it is? I read through "Jesus Calling" last year and that was my favorite bit learned.

ALI said...

I've always worked so hard to not take his name in vain, I never thought about turning it around.

Good luck! Summer will be here quickly!

Daenel T. said...

I think like Ali. I hear people say His name so often that it's hard to tell if it's a prayer or habit. I want it to be a prayer. Perhaps whispering His name? Does tone/volume matter?

kimber said...

The hubs and I do a couples devo together every morning and we both do Jesus Calling {and the hubs does Jesus Lives, too} on our own. Sarah always seems to nail it. Every. Single. Day.