Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some Red, Green, Red, White, and Blue, and Straw


Since I have been experiencing blogger's block off and on, I thought this week I would use Joyce's prompts to get me moving a bit.  I'm only moving a bit, but it feels good nonetheless!



1. What do the words 'freedom' and 'liberty' mean to you? Does your mind go more in the direction of not being persecuted or discriminated against or does it head in the direction of doing what you please?


We can never do exactly as we please because we have a responsibility to live well and within the law.  However,  the freedom and liberties offered by our nation allow us to make many choices and have protection within the law to live with those choices.

2. Nathan's sponsors a hot dog eating contest every 4th of July. Last year over 40,000 people attended the event and almost 2 million watched it on TV. The winner ate over 60 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. How do you like your hot dogs? 

I like them adorned with yellow mustard and buried in onions.  (And I like to chew them.) A pickle or two on the side makes me crave fries less.  I don't eat hot dogs often, and when I toy with being a vegetarian, I know they are one thing I'd miss.  No shame there, just truth.

3. If you were going to enter an eating contest what would be on the menu? 
Red licorice. Really fresh Red Vines or Twizzler Pull-and-Peels.  Sigh.  My niece bought a bag of the latter the other night, and guess who has been eating them?  The only reason there is any (one) left is because they aren't mine.  Although she texted last night and told me to have at them.  So I did.
When I Googled to find this image, borrowed from a now defunct blog for which it was borrowed from somewhere else, I learned Red Vines have their own Pinterest boards.

4. Do you run your house more as a dictatorship or a democracy?
A democracy.  Actually, I just typed democrazy, and that typo made me laugh!  Glad that's not true though.  Often (see question 6) it's just the two of us, and we flow together pretty well. 
The two of us...

5. Where was your favorite summer place when you were a kid?
Gosh, when we lived on Brantwood Avenue, there were a passel of us ranging from 7 to high school aged.  We'd play on the front porch and in the garage.  We'd go to the pool all together--if my mom were alive, you could ask her how many of us she fit in our convertible Corvair.  We'd play running bases.  I guess I would have to say home.  On my own, I would sit on the front porch, put my feet up on the railing and read.  Simple, simple pleasures.
Good ol' 83 Brantwood Ave!

6. Do you have a guest room? Would you want to stay there? 
We call our guest room Mac's room, but it's full of Brad's bedroom furniture.  Mac is still in LA (not L.A.), but Alice our niece is staying in the room now.   She'll be moving to my brother's when Mac comes home next month, and then Mac will move out when he finds a job and has collected a nest egg.  Would I stay there?  YES!  It has the world's most comfortable bed.  It used to be in Brad's guest room when he was single. I was the guest, and I loved sleeping on that bed.

7. Next Wednesday America celebrates her independence. Do you have any special plans for the 4th of July? If you live outside the USA when and how does your country celebrate its own patriotic holiday?
Fourth parties were intermittent when I was growing up, some years we'd have them, some years we'd go to them, some years we did nothing much.  Working retail for a number of years made The 4th seem like any other day.  Brad and I try to get to some fireworks on either or both the 3rd or 4th, we might go to Ribfest (though I don't eat ribs) but it will all be pretty low key.  I did make this wreath though:
 Hundreds of felt squares, folded in fourths and pinned to a wreath.  
Easy.  Forgive the shady photo, my battery was dying!

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
The lawn crew came at 7:15 to mow.  To mow grass that has seen rain once in maybe six weeks.  To mow grass that literally crunches when stepped on.  Grass that's painful to walk on barefooted.  Why mow?  It certainly hasn't grown...
Grass appears somewhat green in this picture taken from my front porch. 
Trust me, it is straw...In some places it's white.

8 comments:

Kayla said...

My Grandma used to mke wreaths like that for every holiday. You gave me a touch of nostalgia/missing her when I saw it. :)

Joyce said...

Guess the landscapers need cash? : )

I have similar memories of our neighborhood growing up. I don't see many kids outside in the one I'm in now. I guess the lots are bigger and more spread out so maybe they are and I just miss it. Or maybe they're inside playing video games.

Happy 4th!

Rebecca Jo said...

The heat is getting to our grass & trees too :( We are desperate need of rain.

Did you make that wreath? SUPER CUTE!!!!

Democrazy - that's better then my made up word!!!

I ADORE licorce. I could eat Twizzlers all day long - but so bad for you.

And FYI - they make veggie hot dogs ;)

debseveryday said...

My daughter could eat Red Vines 24/7!
And my father-in-law still has the family Corvair but it's a hard-top. It's a great car! And your wreath looks great!

Karin said...

So sorry about your straw lawn! Yikes - you do need rain. I just got sick think of someone eating 60 hotdogs in 10 minutes! Yuck is all I can say! Have a wonderful week-end of celebrations!

Theresa said...

I love Twizzlers, especially the chocolate ones although they are hard to find. I enjoyed your picture of your childhood house and the station wagon!

Sam | Away She Went said...

I L-O-V-E Red Vines! I had to stop eating them though. I swear I was becoming addicted and craved them. It was bad!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Our grass is in the same shape yours is in ... looks and feels like straw. We got a whopping 1/4" of rain in all of June and not a whole lot more in May. It's so dry here that many towns are cancelling their fireworks shows. The 108 degree temperatures are the final nail in the coffin for our lawn.