Sunday, July 29, 2012

Allow Capture

Here's another repeat, this time from December 2008.  As women, this is something to keep in mind.

Today, I had the pleasure (strange word perhaps) of attending a funeral. The woman who died was the mother of John who attends our church, Community Christian Church. He asked Brad to officiate at her service. I went along for three reasons: respect for John and his wife Madeline, to be Brad's navigator (we only got turned around once), and to see my husband in minister action.
He offered such comfort to the family--I was sitting behind them, and as he spoke they nodded their heads at times, laughed at times, and wiped their eyes at times. I did too. What Brad provided them, with the gift God has instilled in him, was needed and important. I was proud of him.
After his talk, Brad stood at the casket as people walked up to see their mom, grandma, sister, friend, and neighbor one last time. I hung back, waiting until the room emptied to look at the photos the family had collected.
There were school portraits from back in the 30s. Miss Mavis was an anti-aircraft gunner in her native Britain in WWII when she met her American soldier husband. So there were striking photos of the two of them together. But the photos that pulled at my heart were all the candid snapshots that included generations of her family.
It occurs to me that many of you who read this blog are moms. I feel compelled to share this with you in particular.  Family pictures of others are beloved by us, but pictures including us, pictures of us will be essential to our families one day. 
I don't mean to come of macabre, I'm not only speaking of filling a funeral planning need. There will be other times of reflection when they will need to see us.  Don't hide behind the camera only taking the pictures. And, the next time someone takes out a camera, don't worry about your hair or your make-up, your weight or your outfit. Let the person behind the camera capture you.
 
When I looked at the boards filled with photos, I didn't notice Miss Mavis's hair, make-up, or even her wrinkles. I noticed love. How blessed they are to have all those visual memories to add to those memories stored in their hearts.
Let's allow our families to create plenty of the same.

6 comments:

sharon said...

This is something to really think about! It is usually my husband taking pictures and I just try to stay out of them period! (a few extra pounds etc.) Thanks for the post and thoughts!

Unknown said...

You are so right. I have been making an effort to make sure there are more pictures of me with the kids. I hate having my picture taken but one day those will be all that are left. Great reminder!

Rebecca Jo said...

Me & Ricky JUST had this conversation. He NEVER lets me take his picture - its always a sneak attack... but we were at a funeral of a man at church & they kept pictures rotating & Ricky even said to me, "You wouldnt have this of me when I died"... he said he'd be better about it.. he's not really, but he saw a glimpse of WHY its important.

as a photographer, I think of that all the time - that people NEED moments captured in time... because memories... & lifes..fade

Kayla said...

Great post, and great point.

Though I'd also like to bring up the exact opposite. In a world of Facebook, I see my friends so worried about getting pictures of things that happen, that they don't seem to really experience the actual "being there", ya know?

I'll give the example of the recent phenomena of "Birth Photographers". I'm not knocking people's choice to have their labor and delivery photographed by a professional, but I think sometimes the concern about documenting the event, makes it's difficult to dedicate yourself to the moment and just experience it.

So yes, it's important to get in front of the camera and smile, be goofy, document memories. But it's just as important to make the memories. Have a good balance :)

Stacy said...

So true. I am the family photographer and am always not in the pictures. About a year ago I started complaining about it and now my husband and daughter do take one with me in it now and then. It's still waaaay out of proportion, tho'. :/

Maria (also Bia) said...

This was a really, really good post and made me realize that I am guilty, guilty, guilty.

I don't consider myself photogenic, so I am ALWAYS behind the camera.

Having my photo taken stresses me out.

I need to get over this.

I really, really do.