Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Questions

Should one give money to church in order to spread the word of Jesus, or should money be given to charities/missions who do the work of Jesus and therefore invite the recipients to learn of Him through love?

Does a tithe have to go only to a (my) church or can some go to an organization that lives Jesus amongst people who may not be believers?

This is what I've been thinking about lately.  It's not much of a post, but I have to share my heart--confused as it is.

5 comments:

Alessandra said...

I think you should give according to how the Spirit leads you. We don't have a 'my' church, so our monies goes to organizations that do other things. As long as the Gospel is spread, I don't think it matters too much where it's done. With God in control, the people who are supposed to hear it and get saved, will.

Rebecca Jo said...

My husband & I have this discussion all the time - what is the difference with "tithe" & "offering" ... Our leadership in our church said our 'tithe' goes to our home church while we are free to give offerings to outside ministries.

We still just give how God leads us. :)

Keetha Broyles said...

I think I'd give my money to a group that combines the two first options - - - spreading the NEWS of Jesus while sharing His love while meeting needs.

My dad was a pastor, I was taught ALL TITHE to your local church. I don't see it that way myself anymore. We are told to bring it into the STOREHOUSE, which is God's storehouse not ours. Therefore I now do give some of it to other groups than my own local church.

About the difference between a tithe and an offering - - - the tithe is the 10%, above and beyond that is offering.

Stacy said...

I struggle with this. I believe in supporting my church, but I wonder if maintaining a building and its specific programs is what was in mind when we were told to give God the first fruits. I tend to think we're to give to the things that are important.....Christian charity and taking care of the least of us....and support the clergy. A beautiful, multi-million $$ church, a gigantic worship team with all the audio-visual trappings are nice, but......not necessary. We don't have to market God.

nancygrayce said...

I do believe the tithe goes to the local church, then whatever else you want to give goes to the organizations the Lord leads you to support. But whatever you do, I try to remember "the tithe is the Lord's" :)