Wednesday, July 11, 2012

H.P., but Not Harry Potter

The content of this post has nothing to do with Harry Potter, but when thinking of a pithy title, this is the best I could do.  I'm writing pithless, apparently.
In my quest to post at least once a day, here's me joining up for Hodge Podge again.  Remember, the questions come from Joyce, and the answers are all mine.  Can you tell I really didn't like the first question?  Wait, where is it...?

2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I (Joyce) got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Agree or Disagree. Why?

Yikes, I feel like I'm in school.  Share your answer with support...

I disagree.  Paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln, people are as happy as they make their minds up to be.  It's not a chance, it's a choice--when it comes to daily bliss.  There are external unknowns, but the happiness or contentment all comes from how they're handled.

Have to say, I'm not a fan of Austen.  I feel vapid when I read this kind of stuff.

3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?

I suppose I like to dance, but I'm awful at anything choreographed. Lessons only embarrassed me.  Seriously, years ago I went to one ballroom dancing lesson and never went back.

4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one.

Neither.  But a plain ol' ripe enough peach sounds tasty!  

5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?

Goodness yes.  Life is simply unfair.  If we weren't to accept that, we be disgruntled every moment of every day.  

6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and E.T. Which one's your favorite?

Wow, I've seen them all. I guess everyone my age has.  I'd have to go with E.T. because it was so incredibly unexpected and moving. Ghostbusters was great fun, and it was a giggle.  My son came along a few years later and was so into it--they had cartoons by then.

7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?

Nope. I like my cheese on terra firma.

8. Insert your own random thought here:

I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day, and I bought these because I know I had a plan for them.  But now I cannot recall what it was.  Maybe I just wanted them for their cuteness?  Yeah, that's it. 




1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?

Admission, I moved this question to the bottom because I'm sick of weather talk! I check the weather at least twice a day, but with this lack of rain and the high temps all seem to be experiencing, I have been checking it more.   Mornings I watch the news, then I tend to use my weather app or look at weather.com should it look like we stand a chance of rain.  This drought is ugly, and it's a worry for those who make their living from the land. 


14 comments:

ALI said...

1) every day, sometimes more than once. App on my phone allows me to check the weather as often as I check my mail or FB page.

2) Sometimes neglect of relationship in favor of family/work priorities causes gaps larger than what can be mended through shear will of choice.

Have a great day!

Rebecca Jo said...

You freaked me out - I was like "Where's #1?" ... tricky! :)

Look at that Ghostbusters suit - Awesome!!!

I like your answer about the moon - cute!

Tracy said...

Maybe you were going to make chocolate lava cakes? Or individual pot pies?

Jane said...

1. Seldom. It's going to be what it is. Around here that is mainly cool and damp, so no need to check.

2. Totally disagree although some of that quote can actually be true. However, having read my share of Austen, I think she was being sarcastic. :)

3. No dance moves in me, although I would have died to have ballet lessons as a child. Now I'm lucky to get my knees to bend on a good day.

4. Peach pie.

5. Yes.

6. ET

7. Nope. My family finds it hard enough to get me to go on vacation as it is.

8. Creme Brulee?

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary said...

I thought you had forgotten to copy & paste #1 in your post! I'm with you on Jane Austen. Definitely not light reading for me!

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

Totally agree with answer #5-

Joyce said...

It seems people either love or hate Austen : )

I see creme brulee in your future..do you have a torch because I have a recipe and it would work perfectly in your little cups.

Krista said...

Love the Ghostbusters suit! There is a great chocolate cake recipe that would work great for your new dishes

Theresa said...

Sorry to hear about the drought.
I love the ramekins- maybe creme brule?

Alessandra said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, this hodgepodge thing is really fun. E.T. was my favorite too. :)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Holy cow...#2 was heavy!

I'm not a peach person.period, but I'd almost always choose ice cream over pie!

Star Wars... even though I wasn't old enough to watch it on first run, The Boy and I watch them all the time, except I didn't watch Return of the Jedi until I watched it with him..seriously??? How did I not watch to see how it all ends???

And we are reading Harry Potter right now :-)

Kayla said...

Want a ridiculously easy dessert to make In your new ramekins? Buy or mix up a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough (I suppose you could do brownie as well). Fill the bottom with approximately two cookies worth. Bake (bake time can vary.. Just watch it). Let them cool for a few minutes, but then throw a scoop of ice cream on top and serve. Amazing. I recommend adding chocolate sauce and caramel, because this is clearly not a dish to count calories in.

You can put the hot dish on a plate for handling. Tell your friends not to touch it, because they will and they will burn themselves.

jen said...

i agree with you... happiness is an attitude, not a destination!