I suppose it started with my parents' generation, it's solidly ensconced in my generation, and it's been passed down to those younger--the idea of convenience. In my childhood, things became disposable because throwing away was just easier than reusing. From pens, to diapers, to razors, to plastic bags, to diapers so many one-use items get tossed without a second thought.
Go back to the 60s, 70s or even the 80s, wouldn't you have laughed at the idea that we'd buy water?
This graphic was shared by my friend Rick on facebook, I shared it there, pinned it, and I'm sharing it here (it should hurt to see it again and again).
I'm not a fan of bottled water, and I sure don't keep it in the house. If I'm out and buy some, I'm the geek who carries the bottle home to recycle, I can't help it. I reach into the trash at school to retrieve students' and staff members' bottles to recycle. I get twitchy at the grocery store when people load up their carts with cases of the stuff. But even I was surprised by these numbers.
Take a look:
If you don't carry a refillable container, will you start? Yes, plastic can be recycled, but only one time. It's not the wonder material that aluminum or glass are--they can be recycled over and over.
I just can't help but think of and feel guilty for the mess the future generations will be stuck with thanks to our easy and convenient habits.
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I literally bought my first case of bottled water tosy. I found it a bizarre experience. It's for coping this weekend, and we contemplated bringing a large water jug, but we aren't sure what the water situation is at this amp ground. Plus we plan to do a bunch of hiking. We will still reuse and recycle :)
We never buy water bottles, but my work provides water and soda (in bottles). I'm pretty militant about reusing and recycling them though. At home we use a glass and tap water, because we dont pay our water bill....So old school :)
I use a 3 liter bottle to take water to work. Working where I do, our water is often orange.
That said, while pregnant I fully admit to drinking only Fiji water, but I was queen recycler. I need to work on my pop consumption from plastic bottles after reading this though....
I like using the nalgene water bottles, however it wasnt always like that. My parents bought bottled water all the time for my siblings and I for when we were at school. Then it turned into me drinking it at my house because I was too lazy to get a cup out of the cabinet. Things changed a little bit once I started running in high school and college. I would drink so much water that I didnt want to carry around all the plastic bottles or found it weird to refill the bottle up again. I dont know why but I think water tastes different (and not in a good way) when you refill a plastic bottle. So thats why I try and always bring my nalgene bottle.
We love using water bottles around here. And I'm so glad that my kids are so used to bring their own water bottle everyday that it is now a part of their everyday routine.
If only all the adults get used to using a water bottle, their kids will too.
We buy bottled water. We've seen what the water here does to our pipes, and we certainly don't want that done to our insides. And that is with a water treatment system.
That being said, I do carry an aluminum water bottle to work that I use on a daily basis.
I'm hoping our new house has better water because buying water is expensive and a pain in the neck.
My tap water tastes awful...truly awful! That said, I have a filter in my fridge and refill from there into a refillable water bottle. That said, I do keep a case or two in the garage for hurricane kit purposes and will work through it slowly over the year and then replace because I don't like it sitting in plastic in the hot garage forever!
Oh, now I feel guilty for buying my water and drinking from plastic bottles! But then, I stop and figure that I used cloth diapers (because disposable wasn't available back in the stone ages) and maybe that will just have to be my contribution to saving the planet! :)
My husband uses refillable bottles so he'll have to make up for the both of us!
Post a Comment