Sunday, November 23, 2008

More than pie

Thursday was a rough day in 5S, and though I do love my kids, I left school feeling defeated. On my way out the door, the school secretary told me one of my former student's parents was dropping something off for me. I couldn't stay, I was headed to a church dinner, but just knowing Kim and Kalah were thinking of me warmed me.


The next morning, I came to school and found a pie with my name on in in the staff fridge.


With that gesture, a homemade gift, came so many sweet memories of Kalah and her time in 5S. Kalah's a believer, so I always felt I could speak freely with her about God. I believe she felt the same.


Each year has stresses that sometimes seem unbearable, and when I would voice my thoughts about leaving teaching, Kalah's mom Kim--also a teacher--would tell me the kids needed me and that because of me, her daughter walked closer to God. She worked to let me know that even in a public school classroom, God's light was shining for my students to see.


I cherish the Christmas note Kim wrote me that year;
her expressions stay with me.


Kalah is a strong girl with a servant's heart, and I cannot wait to know how God uses her to help build his Kingdom.




This gift let me know I will continue to be blessed to receive updates about one of my special former fifth graders! She remains valuable to me, and now I know I am valued by her.


I love this girl.


Kalah and Kim at my wedding (Kalah made a card for us):




Kalah and Kim, I have to tell you, my husband loves pie, so I called him to let him know it was coming home with me. He went out to the store for topping, and we ate our first pieces BEFORE dinner on Friday night. It was delectable! Mac says thank you too!
A pie that's more than a pie...actually, a pie that WAS more than a pie:


1 comment:

Mama said...

Well, of course you know that I think food is more than food and pie is way more than pie : ) And I am a huge believer that there are many ways we feed each other!

When Mitch was in first grade and he made a card at Mother's Day stating why he loved me, pie was hugely mentioned. He has never really lived that down, and it definitely makes us smile to this day. At the time, I tried not to think, that is it? You love me because I make pie?! Somehow it was not a positive thought for me. But once I turned it to a humorous thought, we all have laughed for years since.

I am thrilled to see Kim and Kalah! You know they lived on the corner of Church & Prairie - is it Prairie that runs north & south by LWS? I was sad when they moved out of our neighborhood.

In the pie thought process, my Batavia church put out a cookbook in 2004 and asked for suggestions for the name. They chose the name I suggested and that I thought might be a bit too "out there" but really struck a chord with me in that year. So I have a copy with the title "Edible Encouragement" on the front.

Indeed, I truly think it is a form of encouragement and TLC to cook for each other. I'm so very glad you have someone like Kalah & Kim to boost you, love you, and cook for you! It means even more to have it come from someone who knows what boat you're in with teaching and from her child that you encouraged and boost up in the past!

I think every adult in every profession should have to teach for just a week or maybe two, to get a feel for what teaching is really all about. Do you think it would take them longer than a week or two to have new-found respect and admiration for teachers : )

Enjoy your R & R! I hope it really is R & R!