1. The art of holding it.
I never seem to have time to go to the bathroom during my school days.
2. First graders think you're beautiful and will tell you so if you have something sparkly on or if you're wearing pink or purple.
Those words matter coming from anyone, any age.
3. I see more masterpieces from my desk than most people see in a lifetime.
4. My class breaks my heart daily--lately it's been because of the use of unkind names.
5. Spelling quizzes don't matter, and yet parents focus on them way too much.
6. We spend too much time assessing and not enough time teaching.
7. One surefire way to get a kid to remember you (forever) is to accompany him/her to the nurse's office with a trash can, stopping in the learning center to hold the can and sometimes hair back while he/she pukes. (Photo not available.)
8. I have finally mastered my math facts.
9. Kids' lit is better than adult lit.
And sharing it is a blessing.
10. Always do your plans in pencil. Each day is different and never turns out as anticipated.
11. I am lavished with loving gifts that stand the test of time.
12. Swings are the best cheap thrill on the planet.
13. You know you've done some good teaching when the kids go home more tired than you.
This does not happen nearly enough...
(I'm only meant to go to 13, but this is one louder--
I get to know and love each child, and then I have to send them away in June.
Most I never see again, and though it's the way teaching is designed, this is the hardest part of my job.
I know it's coming, I steel myself, yet my heart breaks a little more each summer.)


7 comments:
All I can say is thank you for putting these into words.I wish more people would realize that teaching is not just a job - it is who we are. Our hearts become so intertwined with our students - we carry them everywhere we go. Many sleepless nights are spent worrying about them, praying for them and their families, praying for ourselves, that we may find the right way to reach them.
I've come upon my pictures of you with Elle and you with Mitch at the 5th grade graduation at some point since moving and always love seeing how happy they were to reach this milestone with you. I love that you have them give a carnation to their mom too : ) I've often thought that if other professionals had to spend one week in an elementary school classroom, they'd have a refreshingly knew perspective on what an art and it is to teach and what hard work too. I think the respect factor for teachers would rise dramatically if adults in other fields had to give it a try!
I know all jobs are hard, but I don't think the majority of folks understand the challenges of this job. Just because we've all been students doesn't mean we all know what teachers do. And some of my peers work much harder than I do!
;)
This was great Ellen, I loved it! I have to say that it is very inspiring for me as well! I hope that I make a mark on my students and do as good of a job as you do!!
I had to say goodbye to my class last week and people were telling me not to be sad, that I was going to be bringing something so great into my life. And while that is true, I still get to feel sad. People don't understand that we spend more time with kids than their own families (or our own families!). I am crying right now thinking about those kids carrying on without ME. I feel like I abandoned them.
Megan
THAT chair!!! I loved making that chair.. we were all so excited to give it to you...
I can tell you quite honestly the best teachers I've had were in elementary school and high school (middle school.. yuck). College professors don't "teach" so much as they just "lecture"... it truly is an art to teach, and I wish that was more recognized.. :)
I love owning that chair! It is precious to me.
I loved that class too, my very first.
:)
Post a Comment