Wednesday, January 27, 2010

From quick to plank

     I recently posted about a word for the year, mine being "quick" and was so interested in the comments left by my friends when the blog post appeared here and in my notes on facebook.
     Just a few days after that post, I'm thinking of another word.  Maybe instead of making it my word of the year, it should be my word for my life.  It's...plank.  You know that verse that talks about pointing out the errors or sins of others?  Actually, it's a thought so nice, they had to remind us of it twice:
     "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  Matthew 7:3 (also see Luke 6:41).
     I am guilty of this.
     Oh boy, am I incredibly guilty of this.
     Picture me walking around, people ducking to avoid the massive two-by-four that's jammed into my right eye.  That wood is wedged in there at school, at home, on the road, when I'm thinking of family, when I watch TV, and even at church.  It's an ugly piece of wood; forget that it's stuck in my eye socket, it's rough and splintery and could do (does do) a lot of damage.
     But, I have started to whittle away at it.
     How?
     I have started praying for others.  In fact, I have spent the last week working (and it is work) to pray for others and not myself.  The names of people who have popped into my head during prayer time make me wonder.  People I love?  Sure.  They're a given.  But people who I feel have wronged me?  Their names shine like they're up in lights during my talk time with God. I know He sees everything, especially what I leave unspoken.   I know I have ulterior motives when I talk about these meanies with my human supporters; when I speak about them with God, it's different.
     I am learning, that although boundaries are important--and I've had to set some family ones and some family has set boundaries with me of late--I still care for these people. GOD still cares for these people for they are His children.  The latter care, His care, is more relevant than mine.  As I talk to Him, though I feel great hurt, I also feel great healing.
     So while that plank is still there, it's hard a few small essential cuts taken from it.  It's lighter, and I'm hoping one day to truly see past it.

3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

i think we all have problems with planks...i know i do:)

Sarah Lynn said...

I'm not really sure how to express how I feel about this post other than : ) You word things so well, it makes me smile.

I agree with what Bia said, that we all have issues here. But as you said about having small cuts taken from it, that's what's important.

mah-meeee said...

wow, i never would have thought of plank. it is perfect and it is a great fit for everyone. we all need to get started taking small cuts like you are!