Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet Little Saturday

     My facebook status for yesterday read, "Ellen Stewart (Ellie Seaman) is hopeful."  I woke just feeling such peace and anticipation, and I wound up having a sweet little day with Brad. 
     When he returned from his men's small group, we decided to drive to lunch to a place (Froots, a wraps and smoothies franchise) a few towns west, in Yorkville.  After eating, we got in the Moose and drove into "town" where we saw a brown highway sign directing us to Silver Spring State Park.  Not knowing there was a park so near, we followed the direction of the arrow to find this sweet little spot.
     Suburban Chicago keeps extending, and Yorkville is a blend of sud-divisions, strip malls, and farm fields.  It's kind of fun to know that 30 minutes from our home is this little gem.  I stood at the shore's edge picturing it fully green, and then wondered at its prettiness in the fall.  Loon Lake, we'll be coming back appropriately garbed to hike your trails--perhaps even later this week.
     We crossed a main road to the other side of the park and found a shooting range.   We pulled in, and watched as a family of five shoot together.  The mom could shoot, but she did have trouble with a moving target.
     What you can't see in this pic, snapped through the windshield of the Moose, is that Dad was to her left flinging targets and other brother was to the boy's right doing the same.  What you can see is the disc of her target at the upper edge of the photo.  The boys were so encouraging of their mom, it was sweet.  And she really wanted to learn.  What we all laughed about, and yep, they knew we were watching, was when mom tried to fling discs for her husband.  She just couldn't get the right action from her arm to get the disc to release.
     Just such an interesting change of scenery...
     When we got home there was a package waiting for me.  I had left a comment on a blog I like, Pretty Stinkin' Green, and because of that, I won this little nest from them.  Funny, I had been thinking of following the tutorial on the blog to make one this week, and now I don't have to.  Thanks Deb, I love it, and you have saved me from an "I'm not Martha Stewart" moment!
  Notice the packing paper I've left behind the nest for this shot...she used old McCall's sewing patterns.  What a good idea, an idea I will reuse for the next little fun gift I throw in the mail. 
      This easy afternoon was followed to a visit with Brad to a new church.  The music was good, the lesson was powerful, and we both cried.  I know we'll return.  Thank you God for Compass Church!
     I read an entire novel yesterday, exercised yesterday, spent many tender moments with my husband, discovered a new walking spot, received a crafted surprise in the mail, sang (also known as making a joyous NOISE, in my case) in church, learned more about Jesus...what a good little day.

4 comments:

Kayla via facebook said...

We used to go to that shooting range!

purejoy said...

thanks for sharing your day with me. sounds like a perfect day. love the little nest. would love to learn how to make those eggs! so adorable! (makes we want a shredder)

Maria (also Bia) said...

sounds like it was just lovely.

Laura said...

Great day!
And hopeful is a lovely thing to be!