For me to try to retell his messages here would be futile, I could never reach the level of Truth he seems to effortlessly attain. But I can work to share my reactions to his teaching at times.
The church's current series is centered on the Ten Commandments, and last Sunday was the second. The Message shares it this way, "No carved gods of any size, shape or form of anything whatever." What do I picture when I hear this? The golden calf, of course. Set in current times, I picture Buddha statues or heavy religious sculpture encircled by people bowing down.
I've always felt I was okay with this commandment, check it off, no guilt found. I have no carved gods.
Pastor Dale went on the explain that a "carved god" or a false idol could be one's job, one's passion for things, a loved one, or money.
Have I known workaholics? Yep. Do I know people who shop too much or live beyond their means? Absolutely. Have I seen people who are obsessed with the other people in their lives--spouses, children, boyfriends? Sure. I have also known people destroyed by the pursuit of money, and the effects are devastating and stroked with a broad brush. It was so easy for me to
But, silly me, I kept thinking I still don't have an idol I deal with.
I'm all good.
Then, I was slapped with the realization that my very own body and the too often loathing I feel toward it is my false idol. I put my hate for my body in front of God. I obsess about it. I think about its flaws and failures. I obsess about it. When things are bad (and thank you God, they have been good for a few years now), I have abused it by starving it. I obsess about it. I wish daily it looked different. I obsess about it. I don't praise it, I don't love it, and the hate I feel is sometimes so strong, I can be overwhelmed by it. Words from outside voices, words of love and approval, often cannot reach through the self-messages of disdain. I just choose to not listen.
My body, this shell, gets in the way of my relationship with God. I put myself in the way of Him in my own heart and head. My vessel is my own idol.
I'm not spilling this to fish for compliments. I'm not spilling this for reassurance from anyone. I'm writing this mostly for myself. I love God, and I do need to get over myself, so I must adhere to this commandment by letting go.
He made me. He loves me. He must be sad when I hurt myself with words.


4 comments:
well said - a lesson for us all.
Ellen,
Wow. I enjoyed your writing, and then you write about something that hits home. My sister and I have this talk a lot. . . the body image thing. I wanted to respond, but not sure how since you don't want compliments, and all I can think about is how adorable you ALWAYS look! We are so hard on ourselves, and we do waste precious energy well-spent elsewhere on this body-image thing. I will compliment your writing, since you don't want me to compliment you. Your writing is heart-felt, interesting, engaging, and it touched me. For that, I thank you!
I have my college dictionary that shows it's many years of use with it's tattered pages. I love the message your parents (mother?) wrote. Endearing!
And if I were to share about my faith. . . WOW! I don't have answers, and I do have doubts, but I don't want a world without faith. Recently, watching videos on Compassion.com, a young man said that having a sponsor a world away pick up his packet and start caring, loving, supporting him, brought him closer to God. He couldn't see this person, but the help was there. We can't "see" God, but faith steps in and time and again, I can not deny his presence. . . I have the journaling to back that up!
Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for sharing!
Kathy
i am going to remember this post and keep reminding myself of the lesson here.
it made me cry.
I think this could apply to all of us. I don't obsess about my body, but I have spent years neglecting it. I'm paying the price for that now. I have neglected these precious gifts from Him, my body and my health.
I don't know if neglect counts as a false idol, but I think my false idol is probably my quest for control. I have a hard time just giving it up to God and trusting that He's got me. The mistakes I've made have been because I thought I needed to set my own course instead of wait to find His will. I pray and ask for help but then I barrel ahead, not able or willing to "let go and let God".
If you think about our failings and inadequacies, you really see how wonderful, loving and patient He is. Who else would put up with someone like me.
Post a Comment