We have, if I'm counting right, ten days left of school. So that means I have ten days left with one of my best classes ever. Some of you might think it's wrong for me to admit something like that publicly. Yes, all my years have afforded me learning opportunities, and I truly have found something to like and love about every child who has sat in my classroom.
But this year's group, as a whole, is special. I've learned as much from them as I did my very first class (most of whom are graduating college this season).
I tell my kids that I share with others how much I like them and how well behaved they are. I tell them I'm not in a rush for the summer to come. They believe me. They feel loved. They see what wonderful fifth graders they will be. I'm so proud of them, and I am blessed to have spent my first year in fourth grade with each one of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
why in the world would it be bad for your kids to know they're favorites? i'm not a fan of over inflating egos, but i think in this age of making everything equal and PC that we've forgotten what motivates… positive reinforcement. (and by "we" i mean that collectively… ie our culture here in the US)
i'm so glad you've had a great year teaching.
i have a friend who is going back to teaching after being in a high-performance sales job. he's struggling with going back to teaching because he fears he won't be able to afford to have a family… or to provide well. i told him there are far better things than mansions and wealth. and that's knowing that you're loving, nurturing, building and encouraging discovery for our future generation.
kudos to teachers everywhere!
i can't believe school year is almost over!
You are clearly a wonderful, gifted teacher. I have experienced too many teachers that only feel relief at this time of the year, and maybe some joy at the thought of NOT having particular kids in their classroom anymore. I know teaching is so very hard, but it is a joy to read your words and know that you touched those kids' lives just by your attitude. Even though my kids aren't in your class, as a parent I want to say thank you, and I hope the parents of your students realize how lucky they were this past year.
On another note, enjoy your summer!
I feel so lucky to be able to say "told you so!" after spending last year with those very same kids. I would have loved to have traveled on with them through fourth and fifth and so on and so on...
Post a Comment