Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not Even Miracle-Gro Can Save Them

     For the past two springs, I have organized a flower sale (annuals) and all the proceeds go to an after school at risk reading program that benefits some of our third graders.
     I purchased geraniums and impatiens.  The imps are going wild and bushy--love them--around our front stoop  porch.  Here are the geraniums I threw in a pot and placed under our baby tree out front.  (Yes, I should have deadheaded that top bloom for this snap, but otherwise healthy. Yes?)
     Out back is a different story.  These are such sad flowers.  I directed my neighbor to look at them the other day, and she laughed--she laughed LOUDLY (So glad I could give her a giggle...)  They ARE so pathetic:
     Brad keeps saying, "They'll come back!"  He is my cheerleader.  But I know better.  And the thing is, no matter what I plant back there, nothing flourishes like my "front" flowers do. 
     Three years in a row now.  Begonias?  Dwarfish.  Petunias?  Brown and leggy.  And now this.  How can my thumb be green in the front yard and brown, withered, and practically murderous in the back?  I am at a loss.
     Next year, I'm going with a packet of zinnia seeds and two tomato plants in the back.  Will you all remind me of that come spring?

8 comments:

Java said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Next week when you are in the neighborhood, you should drive by and spy the zinnias growing around our the mailbox. They are beautiful, if I do say so myself, and they were started from seed after the bulbs planted there began to fade late this spring. I will be sure to remind you next year!

SunnyNH said...

This made me giggle too, but mostly because I can empathize with your back yard experience and not at all with your front yard experience. Our new neighbor gave us a beautiful plant. I immediately googled it to find out how to care for it. I followed the directions and now I have a nearly dead plant in a lovely pot. I hope she doesn't take it personally. *sigh*

Maureen Makes It said...

Terrific blog! Happy to have found you via Follow Friday 40+. I'm pleased to be following you. Come by and see me, too! :)

I was amused by your "not Martha Stewart" tag on your post. I always describe my blog topics as Martha Stewart-ish.

Maureen

http://maureenmakesit.com

Annette said...

I feel for you!!! Stopping by from FF 40+.

Weezer said...

Hello, hello, Ellen. Weezer here. I've found you through the Follow Friday hop. I love your blog! No, really I do. I'm now a follower so I'll be back.
Happy Friday, sweetie. (That's what we say down here in Georgia.)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pam C said...

I think it is your soil - we had that problem with hydrangea bushes. Once we moved them to the side of the house they flourished. Too much sourness (can't think of the right term for this) and other imbalances in the soil can cause problems.