The message was about worry.
Honestly, I would be the first to tell you, I don't worry. I guess I figured out today that that's a lie. Near the end of the message, Pastor Dale shared a prayer strategy, so to speak, that a counselor had once suggested he employ. He told him to picture God coming to him with a box, and into that box would go every single thing that was bothering him or, yes, worrying him. Then after he did that, he was to turn the box over to God and not remove anything from it.
Then he did it, you know that pastor thing, he asked us what we would put in that same box. And the woman who doesn't worry started filling it.
Brad's job and income.
Sarah's health
Dealing with the talkers in my class
My fatigue
Brad's family
Home
Serving at church (where?)
Work--keeping caught up, never feeling that's possible
RtI--another work thing
Friends (whose names I shall keep private)
Bills (not a friend at all)
Mac
The check engine light--that means another bill
See, the thing is, God tells us not to worry. And still, I would argue semantics, I don't worry. I ponder. You like that one? It's such a weak argument. But it's His promise that He will take care of us. So why am I still, still wrestling for control? Why am I not trusting Him to provide and manage my life? Why do I constantly ponder about things I should be turning over to Him?
It's my goal to be honest and positive on this blog. I hate complaining. I don't think I am...
However, my box is so full, my heart is heavy--and yes, I do worry. It's time I turn those worries to prayer, and it's time I ask you to pray for me. And as I grow in prayer, I have such an A.D.D. relationship with it, it's time I ask you what's in your box and how I can pray for you.



9 comments:
hope you can give God that box of yours. let go and don't grab it back. easier said than done, of course. i hope you've had some good, intentional time with mac over the holiday.
thanks for sharing your heart.
i'm bushed (at 4pm on a sunday) and am going to take a nap. go me!!
I also have to be more okay with praying for myself. I am not above His help...by ever thinking that (even in the very back of my mind) means I am not, have not given Him the control.
We do have to pray for ourselves - sadly I find myself doing that more often than praying for others. It is so nice to know that others are praying for me, too.
I just read a similar thing about putting your worries in a box and giving that to God. I'm like you in so many ways. I wouldn't say that I worry...but I think...a lot.....and while I'm quick to pray for others, praying for myself doesn't always get accomplished. I am praying specifically for you, my friend. *hugs* Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Candace
When I start to worry I try to push all the things I cannot control out of my head. There are many of those so I feel a weight lifted instantly.
My constant worry is MONEY. How will we make it on 1 income? How will I pay for COBRA that is double what is was last year? How are we going to sell this condo?
It all works out in the end not necessarily the way I would like it too but it does. Ahhh, worries in the box.
We had our "boxing day" early--a week before the holidays to donate all those toys that the kids played with once or twice and put in the closet or under the bed to the local charity drive. Toys for Tots totally left my community high and dry at the last minute. So, the not very old and a whole bunch of new toys and clothes went to make a few Christmas mornings brighter. Too bad we don't have a national day like boxing day to support charities. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Still enjoying the snow here!
you don't know what timing this post is to me. i have so much i'm worrying about... and i'm still constantly battling to let God take control.
i will be praying for you and thanking God that i have you as a friend.
I really liked this post. I'll be reading you from now on!
Thanks.
I like this post. A lot. The timing of this message could not have been any more perfect.
Between the two services on Sunday, Pastor Dale, Ritch, a few elders, and some other leaders all prayed with me. We talked about the message a bit as a group, and for me, it was really tough. But it was SO good at the same time.
I was talking to someone in the preschool as we were getting ready to leave, and she suggested actually making a box. One that I can physically put my worries in as I pray about them, and I think I'm going to. We'll see if it helps.
Praying for you, too.
<3 Sar
Post a Comment