Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kiva

  
     Two or three years ago, I attended the Willow Creek Leadership Summit. The founder of Kiva was there, and I was fascinated by her.  Her company makes microloans to people in poor countries in order to offer them a hand up.  It took me a while to get around to it, you know it was always something I "meant to do," but the other night I finally made a loan.
     After perusing the profiles, I chose a teacher/mom/wife/textile maker,Sotheary, from Cambodia.  There was just a feel of a fit, you know? What's cooler still, is that when I loaned her $25 dollars, she still  had $1200 needed, but within that evening, her whole loan was financed.  She is able to buy silk for her weaving business and another cow for her family.
     I thank God for reminding to finally do something.  I wondered if I should post about it here, but I figure if some of you don't know Kiva, now you will.
     Happy, happy investigating, and happy Sunday
  

2 comments:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I only learned about Kiva a few months ago, and until now had forgotten. Thank you, Ellen!

ALI said...

I had not heard of this, but what a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!