Friday, May 27, 2011

So Fitting for this Friday

     My facebook status earlier this week read, "Scatter.  Brained."  It's still that time of year, the end of the school year when two words collide, in this case '10-'11 and '11-'12.  Assessments, planning, field trips, sectioning, packing, grading, copying, oh yes, and still teaching too! I think my next update should be "More. Scatter. Brained." 

     So thank you to Mrs.4444 for letting me be who I need to be today.  Thankful, exhausted, and fragmented.  Not in that order...
~~I have two pimples on my chin.  I'm 50. Should this even be happening any more?
~~My good friend who is nearly 20 years younger has two in the same spots.  We are zit sisters, separated at birth...
~~Made us laugh, but she's a tired teacher too, so there you go.
~~The other day, I was walking past the computer lab where the first graders were working, and there was an image of Bear on the screen, and I started to cry.  This is a special bear from a series of books my son, turning 25 in August, liked as a child.  And the very last book my mom read to him the day she died was...
~~I've been dreaming about my mom a lot, missing her a lot lately.  Almost 20 years.  I can't believe I have lived this long without my mom.
~~For quite a long time, I've wanted a double shepherd's hook in my garden. So I got two hanging baskets ready and went to buy my hook.  Brad stuck it deep in the ground in seven places--no small feat in our little patch of yard, and it kept bending.  Eventually it bent completely, as in lying in the grass, over.  So these are my sitting baskets sans hook, for now...(the white is bird poop on the gerbera daisies, nice natural touch--literally, eh?)

~~Looking forward to the weekend, especially Monday when my "Fiber" girls get together...
~~She's not one of my fiber girls, still she makes some amazing things.  Check out Cecily's blog and enter to win a gorgeous quilt, check out her envirofriendly sandwich wraps or some of the other fun and lovely things she creates.

~~Like much of our nation, we were stormed on over the past couple of days.  Wednesday night was bad.  So bad I couldn't sleep for a couple of hours.  On the way to school yesterday, the same route I've taken most days for four years, a stop sign was missing.  It was disorienting.  I thought of people hit by the stronger storms, how disoriented they must be by the lack of trees, signs, cleared roads, second stories, roofs...and I prayed a harder for them.
~~May those of us who have remained safe through this tumult called spring thank God for our simple worries.

9 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

the bird poop is definitely a nice touch

Rebecca Jo said...

"Thank God for our simple worries".. wow... that's a powerful sentence!

I totally laughed at "zit sisters" - my face is worse now then when I was a teenager! What's the deal with that?!?!

Our shepherd hooks are constantly leaning. I use them for bird feeders. Good thing the birds cling tight with those feet because they are always rockin'

Stacy said...

Amen to having only "simple worries" and being thankful for them.

I never had pimples as a teen but get them now. Usually the big red, throbbing kind. I read somewhere it is becoming very common. Supposed to be related to UV light??? Another thing to blame on global warming. :P

hapi said...

Hi Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman), Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

Karen and Gerard said...

Sorry you have been so long without you mother. I've missed mine 11 years now. I too feel so sorry for people who were hit by the tornadoes. It does make my problems seem insignificant.

Stopping by from FF.

betty said...

oh what a sweet memory about your mom, but I can imagine how it would be bittersweet to see that bear image in the computer lab; I don't think we ever get over losing our mom (mine's "only" gone 4-1/2 years but I too have been thinking lots about her lately)

I would imagine this time of year a lot of teachers are tired; hands off to you all for your faithful dedicated work through the year! I'm sure you do enjoy the bit of a break that you get!

enjoy the nice 3-day weekend!

betty

Daenel T. said...

So sweet and sad about your mom. I still cry over my dad too. It happens at the oddest moments and the weirdest spaces...

Hope you find a double shepherds hook that works for your flowers (Love Gerbera ~ they're beautiful).

The storms have been awful. I'm praying with you.

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I have one on my chin... a pimple... fun times!

9 more days of school!!!!

I had the "pleasure" of weathering a severe Friday afternoon thunderstorm in a classroom full of 4th graders who very recently had a tornado go literally through their backyard... that was an interesting experience! How many times did I repeat the phrase, "No, seriously, if we were in any danger, the principal would let us know!"

Mrs4444 said...

I'm glad you made it through the storms okay.

Zit sisters--You're funny :)

Sorry you've been without your mom from such a young age; my heart goes out to you.