Saturday, January 1, 2011

I revolve, I mean resolve

     On this very blog I've written that I don't make new year resolutions (my true new year begins every August, you see).  Apparently, I have changed my mind because the past couple of days some have been rattling around in my mind.  Some are similar to the list I made of things I'd like to do in my 50s, but I've added a few more.  It's okay to add more, I ended that list with the hope I would add more. More wishes to change means more growth. These are just specific to 2011.
     I resolve to...
1)  Knit ten scarves.  This is a really far reaching goal since I've restarted the ONE I've been working on three times now.  (I think I completed four in 2010.)
2)  Run three days a week; walk a longer distance two days a week.
3)  Start crunching my mid-section --they say the middle adds fat with menopause, and I'm not there yet, but I don't want to lose my little waist.  Call this a preemptive move.
4)  Stop using my credit card.  This will require a complete shopping fast (except for yarn, oh and groceries and gas!) until Brad's business takes a turn for the better.  (I don't shop much, so this shouldn't be too hard.)
5)  Worry less.  (More to come.)
6)  Grow closer to God.  Leaving the church where I was baptized was an upheaval to my serving, so I'm looking--still--to see what's next.
7)  Have people over more.  I love entertaining!
8)  Starting January 3, change for my students instead of expecting them to change for me.
9)  Write more snail mail.  It's good to give and get.
10)  Cross country ski--come on snow!
11)  Find more cheap/free ways to have fun.  Brad looks to me to be his social director, and I love that challenge, love to make him smile, and love him!
12)  When I pray for people, I hope to let them know. I know God can work behind the scenes, but I also know I feel strengthened when I know people are praying for me, and I want to give them that gift too when I pray for them.
13) Watch less TV. We don't watch many dramas, but we do watch too many housewives and junk like that.  It only brings conflict into our home--not our conflict but still discord.
14)  Complete a book study with Brad.
15)  Start a renegade Bible group for women.
16)  Leave more blog comments--people who blog all crave comments, so I'm going to create that conversation.
17)  Let go of relationships that lack reciprocity--with family or others.  It's just too painful to want and not receive.  And I haven't got time for the pain...
18)  Strengthen friendships with those who want to really know me and with those I really want to know.
     Should there be more? Should I resolve to do things in increments of ten?  Hm...I'll have to contemplate that one.  Stop by tomorrow to share your resolutions!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

An excellent list! Lots here to think on. I haven't written my list of things to focus on yet. I may have time tomorrow.

Jane said...

Oh, my goodness, Ellen! I admire the list, but there's so many! I'm thinking you've gone from one extreme to the other. But good luck and Happy New Year!

Grammachis said...

On 1/1/11, I vote for increments of 11!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Chris,

You're right. Give me time to think about adding four more. Could I have about 364 days to do it?

I'm a list maker, and sometimes when I have a to-do list, I do something not on the list and then write it down and then cross it off. I do believe I'll approach the last four resolutions the same way!

agnes said...

wow! that is a list! i don't usually make a resolution.... but i admire those that do!

i esp like .... wait, i like all of them!

purejoy said...

i should like to think that you crunching each day will help your back. i understand the secret to a healthy back are abs of steel. or at least a conditioned core. here's hoping that helps. it did wonders for the hubs. that and stretched hamstrings. no kidding.
best wishes on your revolutions! ; )

asiansensation said...

Crunches, something I always mean to do but never quite get around to doing ...

Bookncoffee said...

What an encouraging and inspiring list. I don't have too many this year. But I always have a few in the back of my head. Thanks for sharing your resolutions. I'm following you. I saw you on Beth's Walk a Mile blog. Happy New Year to you.
Sonya

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Happy New Year!

What a great list!

ALI said...

What an inspiring & thoughtful list. A couple of surprises that I may be asking you about, after I get through catching up on what I've missed...