Sunday, January 10, 2010

"Open up your Bibles..."

     At our new church, the teaching pastor usually gives this directive at the beginning of his message,  "If you brought your Bible, open it to..."  I hear the rustle of pages flipping as the other attenders locate this week's scripture.  However, so far into my time there, I rely on the notes provided in the weekly program.  There are two reasons I don't bring my Bible to church with me.
1, an excuse reason: I don't have a groovy little case for it.
2, the real reason:  It's akin to a Monet--from afar, say while it's sitting on a shelf, it's lovely.  Up close, say when one needs to open it, it's a mess.
     This particular NIV The Quest edition was given to me by the brother of a pastor from my former church.  Said pastor had authored the teaching notes in one of the books, and at one time he owned lots of copies.  This one came to me used, brother's or pastor's handwriting in it, but I didn't care.  It's the one I made notes in.  It's the one I smacked my name tags in after every class or meeting.  It's the book I had on my lap from winter through summer of that life-changing year. It's the one where I found Jesus and hope on so many pages--even in the Old Testament.  It is my treasure.
     But it is falling apart.  If I took it to church, Brad and I would be constantly reaching, grabbing and bending to retrieve its falling tissue paper thick pages.  I'd be distracted by the things inside.
     Here's what I mean:
     The table of contents are clipped to the title page.  I have to unclip and unfold to use them.  Also pictured is part of my name tag "collection."


     "In the beginning" has separated a bit...These pages of Genesis often get moved into the NT.

     Notes--not mine in this case...when I come across any writing, mine or other's, I have to delve into the text to see if I can discern what was noteworthy.  Kind of a distraction.  (In this case, it's all about God!)

     And the maps.  Well, suffice it to say they came in handy in my last Bible study group.  Whenever we talked about geography, I could take my maps out and pass them around as a visual aid.

Why pass the whole cumbersome book when one can pass a page or two?
 
     To assist me in learning and understanding, I have collected other Bibles, other translations and two paraphrased versions, over the past five years.  But this one, like a best-loved blankie or a worn Teddy Bear, has been put to such good use, remains my favorite. 
     I just can't take to church.

9 comments:

Bill via facebook said...

You need a "traveling" Bible and a "Home" Bible.

KJ in Christ via facebook said...

I'm with you Ellie! I would never ever want to lose my precious Bible with my years of markings, comments and tears. I rarely take it out of my house for fear of losing my treasure.

Pam C. said...

I love your Bible! I wish mine looked like that..... I have been on the search for a Bible that fit me like a glove - not too confusing, not too overwhelming - just right. I think I finally found one and I am vowing to make it look like yours over the next few months and years...

Anonymous said...

Awe! Love letters found in the pages of a book. For those who follow, maps of the way home, the way to live in harmony with God and self. Stories of healing and being restored. Stories of pain and suffering. Stories of mercy and grace. Stories so precious, one holds them dear to one's heart. Wait a minute! I fell in love with that heart of that person changed by those particular pages. I sure am fortunate. Yes, I am.

B

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Oh Brad, you're sweet!

I do like what you said yesterday though, it's just another way to spread the Word!

Kimberly via facebook said...

i have a few bibles, too. i use a life application bible for my BSF class, even though i shouldn't b/c the commentary is so enticing to use to help with the questions. that bible is filled with all kinds of notes and underlines and i love to read what i scratched in the pages the next time i come to that passage...
i have an NIV/Message bible i use on sundays and wednesday nites. it now has lots and lots of notes… and i also carry a journal that i use for taking notes. i ♥ my Bibles! i can understand your affinity for your battered Bible… it's like a velveteen rabbit!

mah-meeee said...

i love to see bibles that are well loved!

i agree with Bill that you need a home bible and a church bible.

BlessedAndAssured said...

Good to see a Bible used. It's so important to me - to my faith - that I search God's Word and search out the truth, not just relying on experience and what I am told.

See my post on this here: http://blessedandassured.blogspot.com/2012/06/searching-out-gods-truth.html

BlessedAndAssured said...

http://blessedandassured.blogspot.com/2012/06/searching-out-gods-truth.html