This end of month/beginning of the month need for a verse caught me by surprise. I must be honest, I'm not doing "this" the way it's supposed to be done. I haven't been quite good enough (meaning if this were a test I'd flunk it) at memorizing verses. Why I'm sticking with it, even in my watered down way of not committing verses to memory, is it makes me go into the Bible, and it makes me think about God and his love and all the good things he provides for me daily. So I don't go to the website and crow about my twice a month memory verse, I don't post there any more, 'cause I can't remember a single one.
Memorizing is hard for me.
But I know where to find bunches of verses. And when I forget them, I know how to retrieve them.
So sitting here, realizing it's month's end, made me think of an old Waltons episode--perhaps even the pilot one--where the older sister whispers Bible verses to her younger siblings so they can earn charity Christmas presents. I joking thought to myself, "I should use 'Jesus wept.'"
Then I realized I should use "Jesus wept." (NIV, John 11:35). In context I am only beginning to understand its meaning, but when I sit here thinking about it, I wonder how much he weeps for us now. Can we hurt him so deeply, our King of Kings, THE King, that we still bring tears to his eyes?
Something to think about as we draw closer to our mourning over his death and the celebration of his new life--a celebration of resurrection and freedom from our sins. I know he forgives us, but in our moments of darkness, does he cry? Does he cry for us? With us?
Friday, April 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
That scene is from "The Homecoming", the Walton's movie that spawned the show. I hunted high and low until I found it a couple of years ago and now it's part of my Christmas tradition. I thought of it the last time I led a mission trip to the Navajo reservation. On the last day we made the Navajo kids at the camp tell us Bible verses to earn the leftover candy, snacks and pop we had. They kept going to the teens I'd brought and getting verses to run and repeat. They wanted those treats as much as Elizabeth wanted that doll.
Post a Comment